Data science manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 392 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Job Description Summary
We are looking for an analytical, articulated and results-driven manager to join PayPal’s Global Data Science organization and open the first Horizon team in Shanghai. The team builds horizontal data science infrastructures and solutions serving all data science teams in GDS, focusing on enabling Graph Infrastructures and solutions, Linking intelligence, large scale clustering, Sequence processing and Anomaly detection representations. The teams portfolio will combine high impact solutions and opportunities to enable new products through R&D.
As a data science manager you will be responsible for:
- Leading a team of highly skilled data scientists
- Work with partners to translate generic Data Science challenges into Scalable Data Science infrastructures and analyze various kinds of data to conclude actionable insights
- Plan the team’s work and vision, execute the plan on-time with the expected benefits
- Build large scale (all PayPal transaction or logins!) end-to-end data infrastructures in close collaboration with our engineering teams in GDS and TPX
- Transform large amounts of complex data into business insights and solutions by using the latest technology in machine learning, innovation and analytic methodologies.
- Team management experience – big advantage
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience in Data Science and analytical domains
- Masters, PhD, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, etc.)
- Code writing capability in any programming language (preferably Python, R, Java, Scala, etc.) and familiarity with relevant ML packages
- Hadoop and big data experience – an advantage
- Experience managing teams in a global organization – an advantage
- High level communication skills
- Team player, responsible, delivery-oriented
- Excellent spoken and written English
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Spend, send, and receive money the way you want, simply and securely, with PayPal