Staff Database Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Primarily the engineering, deployment and support of PostgreSQL and Oracle database.
This role is part of Platform as a Service (PaaS) organization, where you are expected to spend 30-40% of your time developing DB as a Service (DBaaS) offerings and database reliability enhancement solutions. In addition, you will be database subject matter expert for multiple applications, manage the complete lifecycle of databases and participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 availability of production databases.
This includes, but is not limited to following:
- Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the best practices, architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participate in on-call rotation.
- Develop/maintain Python/Shell scripts for DB automation.
- Develop and support Database as a Service (DBaaS) offerings
- Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain Oracle and PostgreSQL databases in production and non-production environments.
- Support local/across the DC failover with High Availability Disaster Recovery environment (with Data Guard & Golden Gate for Oracle and Streaming & Logical Replications for PostgreSQL). Participate in Database Maintenance and DR activities.
- Write/maintain Shell/Python scripts for DB automation.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level3 issues.
- Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA’s and performance targets.
- Adapt business requirements, model data, and develop database specifications, table and element attributes.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7-10 years of DBA experience managing PostgreSQL & Oracle databases (including Oracle RAC)
- 4-5 years of DBA experience managing logical & physical replication for PostgreSQL and Oracle database
- Strong Python/Perl scripting skill and experience in tools like Ansible
- Exceptional deductive reasoning skills
- Curiosity and tenacity to fully diagnose why something went wrong
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL & Oracle database fundamentals and Architecture.
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL & Oracle database security management
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL streaming and logical replication
- Good understanding of Oracle DataGuard and GoldenGate replication
- Should have good Troubleshooting and Performance Improvement Skills including index creation, query optimization, schema changes etc.
- Should have strong UNIX platform skills and understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Any experience developing DBaaS offerings will be a plus
- Ability to modify and integrate database and related products and develop solutions to achieve required capabilities for Persistence/DB layer.
- Experience configuring PostgreSQL monitoring using Prometheus end points, Grafana etc.
- Knowledge of programming language (Java, C++, GO) and prior development experience will be a plus
- Any contribution to PostgreSQL community will be a plus
- Understanding of CI/CD pipeline and code versioning tools such as Git
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading global payment solutions