Global Partnerships Counsel, APAC
Stripe is a technology company that builds economic infrastructure for the internet. Businesses of all sizes—from new startups to public companies like Amazon and Salesforce—use our software to accept online payments and run technically sophisticated financial operations in more than 100 countries. By helping businesses accept payments from anywhere in the world and accelerating the economic shift from offline to online, we aim to increase the GDP of the internet.
Stripe’s Global Partnerships Legal team is responsible for building and scaling the legal framework for Stripe’s relationships with the financial institutions, payment networks, and technology partners that support our products and services. We work on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around, and we’re looking for a partnerships and business development lawyer to join our team in Singapore. In this role, you will be a key advisor to Stripe’s partnerships and product teams, and will work on a diverse set of transactions and relationships that straddle financial services, business processes, and technology.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive. Stripe operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment around the world. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable leading deal work to support highly regulated, often complicated products and jumping in on tasks of any size. Experience in financial technology, payments and financial services, and a working understanding of financial services regulations is a plus, but is not required.
In this role you will:
- Counsel Stripe global partnerships teams, helping to build and grow Stripe’s relationships with domestic and international financial institutions, payment methods, card networks, and technology and commerce partners.
- Collaborate with Stripe’s payments, treasury and financial products, new markets, partnerships, and other teams to structure, draft and negotiate key infrastructure deals with Stripe’s financial and technology partners, to manage existing partner relationships, and to get new, fully localized products to market in the APAC region and around the world.
- Coordinate with a wide variety of Stripe teams, including product, engineering, compliance, risk, and marketing, to ensure the deals we enter into support Stripe’s current and future product development and commercialization.
- Work closely with colleagues across Stripe’s global legal team to support Stripe’s regulatory positions and customer agreements.
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products.
- Scale our deals and the products they support by helping to draft, review, and update foundational documents for working with partners, including application of payment network rules, regulations, and contractual commitments to Stripe’s products and services.
- Stay up-to-date, with the support of Stripe’s legal subject matter experts, on laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection, financial services, and marketing.
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior leaders and build relationships as a trusted advisor.
- Manage outside counsel across multiple jurisdictions to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical deals.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years of experience as a qualified lawyer in a top law firm, in-house legal team and/or government agency, preferably working with financial institutions or technology companies on high-value, strategic transactions opposite experienced counsel.
- A broad legal knowledge that enables you to spot and resolve a variety of legal issues in transactions across multiple jurisdictions (e.g., contract, IP, privacy, consumer protection, regulatory); strong drafting chops with an aversion to gratuitous “whereas”es, “heretofore”s, and other words for words’ sake; and an ability to identify and communicate practical, risk-based solutions to issues as the lead negotiator and drafter of business-critical agreements.
- Experience counseling product teams, technical teams, and other non-lawyers on deal structure and its application to goals for their products and teams.
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex business models and product use cases quickly.
- Excellent judgment, oral and written English-language communication skills, project management chops, and ability to juggle competing priorities under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in languages other than English that are common for negotiation of international transactions in the APAC region isa plus, but not required.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Payments infrastructure for the internet.