Senior Software Engineer - Payments Team
At Afterpay, our mission is to power an economy in which everyone can win. We empower customers to access the things they want and need, while still allowing them to maintain financial wellness and control, by splitting payments in four, for both online and in-store purchases. We do this by connecting more than 122,000 retailers across the globe with over 19 million active customers.
We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing. And as a part of Block, Inc., (NYSE: SQ), we’re united by our shared purpose of economic empowerment. Ready to shape an economy in which everyone wins?
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Payments team you'll be responsible for developing software to enable our customers & merchants to use Afterpay as a method of payment. This team is all about creating new payments experiences through new methods and improvements to the payments platform. We’re working on expanding our payment ecosystem globally through initiatives such as network tokenization, automated clearing house (ACH) , VISA direct integration and wherever else the Afterpay journey takes us! This team operates in a collaborative nature and focuses on clean, well structured, performant, scalable and highly secure code. Imagine yourself enabling, improving and optimizing the flow of millions of credit card, debit card and bank accounts by creating a mission-critical payments platform. If you enjoy backend focused engineering then this team will be perfect for you.
- Scope, build and maintain/enhance systems & services using Kotlin, Java and related open source technologies
- Lead and participate in critical technical design and product discussions
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration
- Practice eXtreme Programming (XP) engineering techniques of Software Development
- Fostering the use of agile practices for Software Delivery
- Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web-apps
- Work with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers.
- Peer review design decisions, code, automated tests and documentation
- Participate in the ongoing design and architecture of our evolving core platforms and services
- Collaborate with product managers, experience designers & business stakeholders to build efficient and reliable feature implementations that will delight our customers
- Ensure that story estimates and code reviews are completed in a timely manner
- A demonstrable and strong track record of building highly scalable, performant and resilient systems/software
- Proven expertise in preferably Kotlin, Java and other JVM languages
- Expertise in mentoring & coaching junior developers within teams
- Solid understanding of how to build testable, decoupled, maintainable code and other engineering best practices such as XP techniques (TDD, pair-programming, etc)
- Strong experience working with any Cloud technologies (we use AWS)
- Experience working within an agile environment
- Very strong working knowledge of backend technologies including but not limited to: Springboot, ORM/Hibernate, relational and NoSQL databases
- Understanding of integration technologies: microservices, RESTful APIs, JSON/XML Structured Logging
- Experience with DevOps practices, like automated builds and deployments, telemetry etc.
- Experience with version control, preferably Git
- Userof Serverless technologies will be a bonus
- The ability to build scalable and maintainable software-as-a-service applications using modern JVM languages
- Willingness to learn and apply new methodologies and techniques as required
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- Great communication skills, able to discuss engineering issues and trade-offs without hesitation.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Shop now. Pay later. Always interest-free.