Senior Director, Merchant Sales & Acquiring, Japan
The Japan Merchant Sales & Acquiring (MSA) team is responsible for the short and long term growth of merchant acceptance for Visa’s existing and new Digital products and services. The team is focused on expanding acceptance for contactless and enabling a cashless Japan. The team will achieve its success through working with and through its acquiring partners, key merchant partners and the technology firms driving innovation in the marketplace. Visa has reinforced its focus on long-term acceptance growth by developing partnerships, enhancing market investments, and having the right talent to execute directly with our regional merchant & acquirer clients.
What a Senior Director Business Development, Merchants does at Visa:
This is a client-facing role and requires the successful candidate to establish and foster deep relationships with Clients and internal stakeholders at all levels of staff and senior management.
The Senior Director, Business Development has the responsibility for managing Visa’s strategic Seller-side partners (acquirers merchants, payment gateways, etc.) with the primary focus on deepening relationships, developing strategies to successfully manage client adoption, implementation & integration of Visa merchant solutions. This role will develop, test and lead growth strategies with our existing and new merchant partners.
The Senior Director is responsible for understanding and effectively communicating Visa value proposition, defining specific strategies and initiatives to contribute to Visa’s goals and strategic priorities. The Senior Director will primarily partner with Regional and local counterparts to provide best support to our top Acquiring clients. The position will be responsible for managing annual revenue goal exceeding USD 150 million and 15 plus relationships.
The role will influence Visa's business by:
- Positioning Visa as the industry leader and thought leader amongst clients, partners and peers.
- Expanding access by driving the increase of Merchant Sales Volume (MSV) and revenues. (additional acceptance locations, increased Visa card usage, and additional processing volume via VisaNet, Increasing and driving eCom use via C relevant Value Added Services).
- Working closely with the Head of MSA country and functional teams to develop MS&A business plans and implement.
- Engaging pre-agreed set of key clients via account management plans, quarterly reviews and annual client satisfaction surveys
- Key influencer in market and client related decisions
- Decisions impact the implementation of plans and achievement of MSA objectives for the Japan market
- Works independently with guidance in only the more complex situations.
- Influencing and growing card payments in existing and new spend categories
- Develop and implement strategies to grow acceptance and spend from existing and new spend categories.
- Facilitate the development of marketing and promotional activity with key acquiring / merchant relationships.
- Manage JP deployment of merchant/acquirer solutions with specific focus on
- Accelerating contactless deployment and merchant education with key clients
- Ensuring the market is in compliance with Visa Rules and initiate any needs to accommodate the rules for JP market
- Deployment of other future proof Visa/CYBS products
- Facilitate the coming together of new technology & solutions (Example: Visa Direct, B2B, Tokenization) and traditional acquirers to launch new acceptance initiatives.
- Analyze market demand, evaluating potential opportunities, identifying prospective clients, as well as highlighting infrastructure concerns to support a product launch (e.g., marketing and sales support materials, product training, go-to-market plans, sales enablement tools and other needed technical sales support)
- Lead partnerships with top acquirers through the selling of Visa acceptance products / solutions and deepening the relationship by being a valuable partner to our clients.
- Provide coordinated support to acquirers in developing and executing their go-to-market strategy especially for EMV & contactless terminal growth
- Establish direct relationships with key merchants, identify strategic opportunities for Visa's capabilities and develop account plans with the objective to drive incremental business and volume
- Negotiate business contracts with acquirers and merchants, and related acquiring parties including payment facilitators, payment gateway providers or digital wallet operators to achieve business goals
- Represent MSA in client engagements and industry events. Evangelize the value and differentiation of Visa’s merchant solutions both internally and externally. Be a key influencer in driving the Visa strategy on IRF, Pricing and Compliance for Acquirers.
- Provide subject matter expertise and business development support to IS&P, Core Product, Strategy and Risk functional areas
- Coach and mentor a team of domain professionals (both mid and early career) including but not limited to giving direction, providing feedback and focus resources of the most impactful initiatives
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both home and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office three days a week, Monday (Sunday in some countries where Sunday is the start of the week) and Wednesdays. Wednesdays are designated as in-office collaboration days. The third day in the office will be decided based on team needs and determined in partnership with senior leadership.
- Deep experience in the deployment of acquirer/merchant solutions with proven expertise in completion of large complex payments projects.
- 15 years or more of experiences in any of consumer payments, payment systems, credit card management, acquiring & issuing services.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and make things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a strong bias for action and resilience.
- Ability to think big and launch “industry leading” ideas. Experience combining products or business assets in non-traditional ways to create new opportunities
- Ability to structure and manage complex cross-enterprise projects and processes with multiple stakeholders at both senior and junior levels
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Visa’s merchant/acquirer strategy, products and services
- Excellent verbal and written skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex technical and business issues and solutions to a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to understand the depths of the Japan marketplace dynamics including the regulatory environment, technological and consumer behavioral shifts tying this back to impact to Visa
- Ability to work independently and engage multiple levels of management in key decisions where required for the business
- Flexibility to travel around the region and internationally as required
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates with the right to work in Japan and are unable to offer new immigration sponsorship.
Visa has adopted a Covid-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the country where this job is located are required to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading global payment solutions