Block builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Block started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Block has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Block.
The mission of the Compliance Operations team at Square Japan is to perform the day-to-day operational tasks associated with payment network and partnership requirements. The team actively engages in monitoring for prohibited activities such as anti-money laundering activity along with enforcing Square's Merchant User Agreement. Other areas of responsibility include OFAC and other Japanese regulations reviews, liaison with law enforcement agencies and interactions with corporate partners and the credit card payment networks.
- Monitor and act upon reports involving compliance-related alerts
- Verify merchant information and conduct due diligence reviews as part of Square's on-boarding review policy
- Ensure all daily operation deliverables are met within established SLAs
- Interact with Square customers to ensure full compliance with all applicable laws and policies
- Provide coaching and training on account reviews for new and junior team members
- Provide final sign-off / subject matter expertise on account-level reviews for junior team members
- Conduct regular reviews of operations processes to ensure functionality and develop additional efficiency
- Work cross-functionally with Support, Risk, and other operations teams within Square
- Communicate with customers via email
- Communicate with corporate partners to ensure our compliance monitoring
- A strong operations mindset involving time sensitive directives and ability to self-manage workflow across competing priorities
- Strong investigative skills, including familiarity with public record research and database tools
- Strong transaction analysis skills that apply across numerous financial products and services in complex scenarios
- Adept communication skills when dealing with possible bad actors with a detective-like mentality
- An ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with a drive to deliver outstanding results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Japanese and English
- Previous experience in compliance or risk work with a financial institution or payment-focused company preferred
- Passion for Square, and a strong interest in technology/knowledge of the industry
- 4-year undergraduate degree
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Invent today. Shape tomorrow.