Director, Data Science, AUNZSP
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
Visa is looking for a data science leader to join Visa’s Consulting & Analytics team and lead data science practice for Visa’s issuing clients in Australia. This role will report to the Head of Data Science for Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific.
This role will be required to work in close partnership with the consulting and client account leads to understand client business challenges and determine how Visa data and industry leading analytic solutions can be used to solve them. The responsibilities will include being able to absorb and then clearly articulate the client challenge, determine scope, design the most appropriate analytical approach, oversee delivery of analytic solutions by our team of data scientists and then using the output of the analysis for creating a compelling data-driven client narrative within committed timeline. The role will also require providing hands-on execution support as required during the project lifecycle.
The role will also include developing new analytic solution capabilities, understanding the broader payments ecosystem, and staying on top of industry trends to identify opportunities where Visa data and analytic capabilities can be leveraged by clients to support growth of their business.
Being able to clearly articulate the value of data to inform business decisions is critical, as is the need to have exceptional communication skills. This role will need to closely collaborate with stakeholders across the business including account executives, consulting leads, product, client services and marketing. The role is based in Sydney and will work closely with the broader data science team based in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore.
The role will have responsibility to facilitate peer-to-peer learnings within Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific data science team to upskill data scientists and coach them as needed. This role will require excellent people management skill.
This role will also require to be collaborative and establish a network within Asia Pacific Data Science Centre of Excellence and other markets to exchange ideas and best practices. As a senior data science leader in the market, the role will require developing strategic roadmap for data science and raising profile of data scientists internally within Visa and externally as and when opportunity comes.
Summary Of Key Responsibilities
- As an analytic subject matter expert, solving Visa’s issuing clients’ business challenges with the help of analytic solutions
- Working closely with the Consulting leads to leverage data and insights to solve business problem
- Supporting business development activities for Australian issuing clients
- Driving data science project pipeline for Australia
- Collaborating with Account Executives to understand opportunities to use data insights to solve business challenges, design appropriate data-driven solutions and draft client proposals
- Coaching and mentoring data scientists, overseeing project execution and providing hands-on execution support during the project lifecycle as needed
- Overseeing delivery of multiple projects in conjunction with the broader Data Science & Consulting teams
- Developing new analytic solutions to solve client business problems
- Upskilling and coaching data scientists and facilitating peer-to-peer learning for data scientists in Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific market.
- Developing strategic roadmap for data science and raising profile of data scientists
- Ensuring all project documentation is up to date and maintaining highest levels of quality and integrity in deliverables
- Ensuring project deliveries are within timelines and budget requirements
- Ensuring open and clear communications across team members and stakeholders
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
Skills & Knowledge
- 10+ years of experience in banking / payment industry with knowledge on portfolio lifecycle management initiatives for payment products is preferred
- Subject matter expert in different areas of analytical methodologies to solve business challenges
- Excellent people leader, experience in managing a data science team is preferred
- Excellent communicator, being able to translate data into business insights
- Experienced in managing multiple projects and initiatives
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
- Must be team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible, with excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities
- Experienced in working across a matrixed organization
- Proficiency in Advanced analytics, thorough understanding of the recommender system, classification techniques, time series and regression models
- Proficiency in using data visualisation tools (such as Tableau)
- Proficiency in coding skills using SQL, Hive, Python, R, Spark and Pyspark on large datasets are recommended
- Excellent written English
- Expert level PowerPoint
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of the cards and payments business is preferred
- Excellent relationship and stakeholder management skills
- Expert in presenting ideas and analysis to stakeholders and at leadership level
- Very detailed oriented, is expected to ensure highest level of quality/rigor in reports & data analysis
- Global mindset, desire and demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally and in a matrixed organization
- Ability to execute and solve problems independently
- Proven skills in translating analytics output to actionable recommendations, and delivery
- Multi-disciplinary thinking skills: creative, analytic, strategic
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the country where this job is located are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading global payment solutions