Strategic Account Manager, Mid-market
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Our Strategic Account Management organization is looking for a tenured account manager, consultant or sales professional with experience managing high-value technical accounts to help retain and grow Square's most engaged sellers in Japan. As the first Strategic Account Management team member based in Japan, you will help refine our international upmarket (enterprise and mid-market) strategy, scaling our global presence and proving out the program's success in your region.
You will be well-versed in working with senior decision makers, including C-level executives, IT, finance and operations. You will have experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders on behalf of global customers, inclusive of global deal negotiation, contracting and technical solutioning. Reporting to the Enterprise Account Management Lead based in the US, you will work in collaboration with product, engineering, finance, implementation, marketing, legal and sales to ensure successful growth of our Japanese sellers. This role can be based remotely in Japan or in our Tokyo office through a hybrid of in-office and remote working.
- Build partnerships and establish lasting, fruitful relationships with existing customers to retain and grow our presence within global enterprise grade organizations
- Take full ownership of your managed book and oversee business prioritization, financial contract structuring, legal negotiations, technology strategy and ongoing account management
- Discover challenges and aspiration with customers, using Square's platform and product portfolio to grow their success through up-sell and cross-sell opportunities
- Partner with sales peers to establish and grow newly on-boarded, high-value customers, identifying patterns of success in repeatable strategic and technical solutions used to improve market development
- Be the "voice of the seller" curating analysis of product performance from your managed book and providing relevant feedback for Square’s product roadmap
- Seek for opportunities to remove roadblocks and establish new processes, such as cross functional workflows or bi-weekly status meetings, for both your sellers and your Account Management team within Square
- The ability to work with Japan-based sellers in Japanese (reading, writing and video meetings), and global Square colleagues in English (reading, writing and video meetings)
- 3+ years experience in either account management, business development, consulting, partnerships, sales, sales engineering, or similar roles focused on technical products
- Experience achieving revenue and retention metric goals
- Expertise in contract and pricing negotiations with external senior partners
- Experience conducting requirements gathering with multinational customers, recommending solutions, informing business cases for feature development with products teams, and balancing expectations for both parties
- Expertise in client-facing discovery and consultation, resulting in selling through multi-channel and product solutions that meet business needs
- Experience supporting go-to-market efforts for new products or customer segments without a playbook
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Invent today. Shape tomorrow.