Staff Software Engineer (Java Backend Developer )
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
Visa Payment Digitization Platform (VPDP) is part of the Issuing Solutions group within the Value Added Services (VAS) Technology Organization. Currently the team’s charter comprises of projects under multiple areas, including Visa Token Services (VTS) and various flavors of Click To Pay (CTP).
Tokenization is a key pillar of Visa’s digital future, allowing innovators to develop new payment use cases where a traditional card simply is not viable (IoT, Contextual Commerce, etc,). You can learn more about VTS here and here.
Click To Pay is also evolving to being our new standards-based solution for ecommerce. This platform is tightly integrated with Visa Token Services (VTS) to support provisioning of payment credentials for one-time, card-on-file and device-based payments. You can find out more about CTP here.
Both VTS and CTP will have a key role to play under Value Added Services (VAS), a key focus for Visa’s business units to generate steady revenue streams for the next 5 years and beyond. Our team has multiple projects in flight under VAS charter, with more exciting initiatives being lined up in the pipeline. You can catch a preview of VAS projects here.
We are looking for a talented Staff Software Engineer to join our team in VPDP Singapore!
Staff Software Engineer (Backend)
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will help lead, design, enhance, build our solutions meant for customers in an agile, fast-paced environment. You will be working with colleagues across the company, who will help support and challenge you every day. Designing solutions, writing code, unit testing code, developing test cases, automating test cases and frequent check-ins for continuous integration is just part of your DNA. You will see your team’s code going to production in just a few weeks and used by strategic accounts worldwide. If this sounds exciting, we would love to chat and tell you more about our work culture, solutions and opportunities.
Our team, as well as our group works under the principles of a common engineering model with both development and testing expertise. You are expected to have hands-on experience and sufficient knowledge to guide the engineers and unblock them as needed on an on-going basis.
Your Responsibilities Will Include
- Design and develop new systems as well as enhancements and fixing defects in existing software.
- Play a key role to understand high-level product requirements and help the team translate that to low-level engineering design for new features
- Lead meetings and discussions with product and architecture teams
- Help our clients achieve their business goals by understanding their requirements and delivering the best solution.
- Lead and provide technical mentoring to a team of talented engineers and guide them on DEV and QA best practices
- Leverage newer technologies and lead efforts to architect, design and implement / test various aspects of secure payment solutions.
- Understand and enhance coding guidelines and participate in code review processes.
- Review test strategy and test cases developed by test engineers to ensure optimum quality of solutions being delivered.
- Periodically rotate into the role of Scrum Master to lead agile, scrum teams for a given sprint.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal skills along with a team player focus.
- Develop close working relationships with members of teams within the organization.
- Become knowledgeable of Visa's core technology, infrastructure, and standards.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
- 5 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s degree or at least 4 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of work experience with a PhD in Computer Science or other technology field.
- 6 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 5 or more years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or up to 4 years of relevant experience with a PhD in Computer Science or other technology field.
- Typically, candidates are expected to have 6+ years of experience working in a technology company on Java and related backend technologies. Experience in delivering enterprise-class, mission-critical, commercial, and scalable products is a must-have.
You Would Be Expected To Bring In Expertise That Include
We want our Staff Software Engineers to do much more than just write code.
- Solid experience in technologies including JAVA, J2EE, REST, ORACLE, KAFKA, HADOOP, etc.
- Exposure to Spring Framework and Hibernate is a must have. Understanding the workings of an MVC Framework like Spring MVC, Struts, etc. would also be good to have.
- Strong foundation in requirements scoping, data structures, algorithms, instrumenting and performance benchmarking, problem solving and complexity analysis.
- Strong designing, analytical, programming & communication skills needed, along with aptitude for building stable solutions.
- 5-6 years demonstrated experience with n-tier web application development/testing is required. Experience in latest JDK and earlier releases is important. Must be able to articulate experience with many of the major Java APIS (e.g. JMS, JPA, JNDI, JAX, etc.), Technical certification a Plus.
- Experience with web services standards and related technologies (XML, JSON, REST, SOAP, WS*, AXIS, JERSEY) is required.
- Experience working with a variety of Applications Servers and Databases (at least Tomcat / JBOSS, Oracle / MySQL or equivalent).
- Good understanding of multi-threaded concurrent programming is desired. Experience with non-blocking IO is an added Plus.
- Experience integrating with asynchronous messaging systems such as MQ Series and Apace Kafka is a Plus. Hadoop knowledge is also good to have.
- Knowledge in micro services and hands-on experience in Kubernetes, Docker and OpenShift would be a strong plus.
- Exposure to tools like JMeter, SoapUI, Postman / Any REST Client is desired. LINUX skills are required.
- High-level knowledge about various testing methodologies such as functional testing, integration testing, regression testing, penetration testing & performance testing is necessary.
- Understanding of test automation using frameworks such as Selenium, etc. is good to have.
- Demonstrable experience utilizing object-oriented patterns and design best practices.
- Familiarity with common application security vulnerabilities and how to overcome them (OWASP) is a Plus.
- Hands-on experience with Continuous Integration, and Test Driven Development is required.
Our engineers do more than just write and test code:
- We count on your curiosity and creativity, to want to understand customer requirements and our processes and want to come up with creative solutions.
- While you’ll have the skill to see and understand the big picture, you’re able to stay focused on the task at hand to achieve immediate goals.
- You’re great at systematic and accurate research wanting to uncover the smallest detail.
- You have amazing work ethics that will help us all work extremely well together.
- You have the passion to understand people and always strive harder to improve our products and services!
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and above all, you are a team player!
Please Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates with the right to work in Singapore. We are keeping the situation under close review and will adjust accordingly should the restrictive measures be lifted.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy. As a condition of employment, all employees based in Singapore are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading global payment solutions