Senior Platform Engineer
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Afterpay is looking for an engineer to build, enhance and scale our platform systems that underpin our cloud products. Our mission in Platform Engineering is to empower product teams to deliver value to the end customer in a faster and safer manner by focusing on availability, reliability and scalability.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join the Platform Engineering group that powers one of the world’s largest payment networks which makes a direct, tangible impact on Afterpay’s growth and success.
The team you’ll be working with: Observability as part of Platform Engineering
The Observability team’s mission is to provide logging, tracing, metrics and monitoring systems to be able to provide insights through data on the behavior of services and the underlying platform infrastructure.
The Observability team is central to maintaining and improving operational and delivery performance at Afterpay. The team is responsible for architecturing, building and operating a cohesive observability stack for all systems and services operated at Afterpay. The Observability team embraces a product as a platform mindset to serve its internal engineering customers.
We are much more than our job descriptions, but here’s where you will begin…
As Senior or Lead Observability Engineer will be responsible for:
- Design and develop single pane of glass observability solution
- Achieve full-stack observability across layers of cloud services, infrastructure, and applications
- Develop self serving observability platform to start monitoring new K8s clusters and workloads immediately
- Implement best practices for metrics, logging and distributed tracing pillars of Observability
- Define best practices for making systems and services measurable
- Evangelize with Product Engineers to apply practices
- Proactively overcome scale and cost challenges of Observability solutions
- Collecting, aggregating and visualizing the metrics to provide actionable insight
- Help measure golden signals and DORA metrics
- Implement synthetic and real user monitoring for mission critical cloud applications
Like us, you’ll be deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers and passionate about shaping the future of Afterpay.
- Passionate about cloud and observability problem space
- Enjoy evangelizing platform and Observability best practices across engineering
- Experience with monitoring and observability tooling - competency with tools like SumoLogic, Splunk, NewRelic, PagerDuty, Sentry, Cloudwatch, Prometheus, Datadog
- Able to lead and develop Infrastructure as code using Terraform or equivalent tooling
- Experienced with data pipelines moving large sets of data
- Experience maintaining CI/CD pipelines, especially Dockerized ones
- Experience with public cloud platforms (AWS strongly preferred)
- Care about team, collaboration and enjoy working in a team setting
- Can enable team communication asynchronously and with empathy
- Can enable teams to write high quality documentation to share knowledge across the engineering organization
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Shop now. Pay later. Always interest-free.