Senior Platform Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Are you actively looking for a new opportunity? Or just checking the market? Well… you might just be in the right place!
We are looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to join our Developer Experience (DX) team. DX is all about efficiency and getting our development engine to run smoothly. In this role, you will bring a breadth of technical knowledge, software and systems engineering skills to drive innovative engineering solutions and take us to the next level.
The work you and your team do have a great impact on our Engineers, making them more productive and helping them achieve their goals with the least amount of friction along the following key areas:
- Velocity - high efficiency and better developer experience for our engineers, enabling them to deliver software quickly, reliably and safely.
- Service lifecycle - reduce the effort required to provision, deploy and maintain services in production.
Who we are and what we do:
Some exciting news in the Vend journey, we are joining the Lightspeed family! By joining forces, we will continue to power retailers and restaurants with our cloud-based, omnichannel commerce platforms and bring our cities and communities to life.
At the heart of both Lightspeed and Vend are our people and customers. We delight local businesses in over 100 countries and we are trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine. We have offices in Canada, USA, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
💚 Our common mission: ignite the potential of businesses to enrich the communities they serve.We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do!
Platform Engineering @ Vend:
Vend runs on top of a cutting edge dockerised cloud-based infrastructure. It handles a whooping 1400 requests per second and delights over 25000 retailers across the globe. We jumped into the microservice architecture wagon long ago, which means that our Engineering team have created over 60 microservices. Some companies claim they do Continuous Delivery, but a few actually breath and live it day in day out. At Vend we deploy multiple times a day, on average 25 times a day without any human interaction.
What you'll be doing:
- Technical Delivery: writing code, code reviews, fixing bugs, incident and outage response, providing technical documentation for systems/processes, performing operational maintenance on Vend's CI/CD and related parts of infrastructure
- Planning and architecture: estimating and collaborating with other DX engineers in planning and retrospective meetings, gathering strong feedback on where productivity or reliability can be improved, implementing technologies or processes to improve developer experience and CI/CD reliability, identifying and eliminating inefficiencies to enable developers ship code faster, ensuring public Vend APIs are consistent, stable and well documented, maintaining Vend SDK and shared libraries
- Learning and helping others: assisting other engineering teams provisioning services or with ad-hoc requests, helping other engineers with presentations, training sessions and documentations, assisting and upskilling Vend Support in dealing with tickets related to 3rd party integrations.
What you need to bring:
- Senior level of experience in previous success and failure ("scars"), which help you make better decisions.
- Development experience in one or more languages, ideally a mix of scripting and compiled languages, e.g: Go, Python
- Understanding of modern development strategies (CI/CD) and DevOps principles
- Familiarity with provisioning and monitoring resources in a cloud based environment, preferably on AWS
- Familiarity with Linux and Bash scripting
- Understanding of Docker or container orchestration techniques
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code tools, such as Terraform or Cloudformation
Why do you want to work at Vend?
- We will provide you with opportunities to develop your career
- You can help build an amazing product in a company big enough for growth but lean enough to make a genuine impact
- You will be offered a competitive salary
Plus, we have a range of benefits that'll keep you happy, healthy and (not) hungry:
- Secure, full-time carpark
- Dog-friendly environment
- Free fresh fruits, snacks and drinks (and cake for your birthday!)
- Paid leave and assistance for new parents
- Travel insurance for you and your family
- Vend Share Options scheme
- Four weeks annual leave + extra day over the Christmas holidays
Where to from here?
Obviously, we're looking to ensure it's a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you're proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world, feel free to check out our Instagram here.
Vend is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Effortlessly sell, manage and grow your retail business with Vend, the unparalleled, cloud-based point of sale system.