Head of Japan Sales
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We are looking for the first Head of Japan Sales to build the Square Sales team in Japan. Representing the Japanese market on Square's Global Sales Core Leadership Team, you will set the vision and strategy for the Japan Sales team. Working with Square's Head of International Sales and other cross-functional partners in Japan and globally, you will act as the Sales voice for Japan and will ensure Square Sales is well-represented in-market and that Japan is well-represented within Square Sales. You will hire and directly manage the Account Executive function in Japan. You will be based in our Tokyo office and report to the Head of International Sales in San Francisco.
- Set and own the vision, strategy and execution plan for Sales growth in Japan and lead your team to execute this.
- Drive accountability in Japan against Square Sales’ Annual Plan.
- Build and scale the Japan Sales team to accelerate Square's global footprint.
- Hire, coach and directly manage revenue generating Account Executives in Japan.
- Conduct weekly pipeline review and forecast meetings with team members.
- Support direct reports by participating in client and prospect meetings as needed.
- Partner with the US Sales Operations team to identify efficiency opportunities in the Japan Sales process.
- Develop Business Development and Sales programs for targeted industry verticals, using analysis done in partnership with local and global Finance and Sales Operations.
- Develop and invest in team members ensuring employee engagement and satisfaction is optimized.
- Bring an authentic culture unique to your market whilst ensuring it is one of performance, accountability, inclusion and fun.
- Represent the voice of the Japanese seller and engage with the US Product team to guide product improvements.
- Be an influential leader as part of the Japan GTM team and strategy.
- Own, develop and nurture effective and collaborative cross-functional relationships with: Marketing, Partnerships, Account Management, Customer Success, Product, PMM, Finance & Strategy, Recruiting, People, Risk, Compliance and Legal.
- Demonstrated Sales management experience, including hiring, developing and driving accountability.
- The ability to work with Japan-based customers in Japanese (writing and phone), and global Square colleagues in English (reading, writing and video meetings).
- Experience leading a metrics-driven Japan-based Sales organisation, preferably in a high volume SaaS or financial services company.
- Experience scaling a Sales team during a time of high growth.
- Experience with standard Sales KPIs and levers that impact performance.
- Comfort operating in a fast-paced and evolving, dynamic environment.
- Passion for small businesses and how new technologies can help businesses of all sizes start, run and grow.
- An interest in implementing feedback and improving Sales processes.
- A BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Invent today. Shape tomorrow.