Customer Success Manager, Shopify Plus (Remote, Japan)
Shopify empowers millions of merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. We're with our merchants each step of the way to help them start, and scale their businesses while allowing them to sell through numerous channels.
We give high-growth, high-volume merchants the scalability, reliability and flexibility they need. Shopify Plus helps power commerce for companies like Gymshark, Allbirds, Crate and Barrel, and many more. We believe merchants should love their commerce platform and we work hard to make that happen.
The world needs more Shopify: if you are driven by new challenges, hustle and great growth opportunities this is the place to be! We are growing and the landscape is changing every day; this is where you come in.
Our Merchant Success team acts as strategic advisors for all our Shopify Plus merchants. As a Merchant Success Manager, you are so much more than a traditional Account Manager. It will be essential that you are passionate about the success of our merchants, and that you leverage your role to help high-growth, high-volume merchants be successful.
To be successful in this role, you will be tasked with developing tech touch account management strategies that ensure our merchants feel supported and are made aware of all the great features they now have access to on Shopify Plus. You will provide them with recommendations on how to build and implement the right tactics to move their business forward, and leverage scalable tactics to support Japanese merchants. You will be supporting our Japanese merchants, as well as merchants across APAC.
This is a remote position available within Japan. Business level English skill and native level Japanese language proficiency required.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating internally with a team of Merchant success managers to drive engagement and retention across our entire merchant base.
- Nurturing and engaging merchants through proactive outreach and other tactics, such as hosting webinars and creating email campaigns
- Managing merchant escalations from our Support teams to deliver recommended solutions and guidance
- Being a trusted advisor for our merchants; knowing their business, competitive landscape and championing how Shopify can help their business succeed.
- Managing the overall Merchant relationship by:
- Coaching merchants to grow their business by partnering with them on goal development, and providing tailored and structured recommendations to achieve those goals
- Identify areas for improvement, including opportunities for product adoption and implementing new Shopify features; recommending ways to best utilize Shopify’s solutions
- Partnering with internal Shopify teams to advocate for merchants’ needs and requests
- Demonstrate an in depth understanding of industry trends
- Being the merchants internal cheerleader via escalating their needs and requests to product teams and ensuring their requests are heard
- Ensuring quality data and information on our merchants is up to date in our CRM.
- Collaborating with other Shopify teams to recommend, plan, and coordinate, ensuring the merchant receives the best possible experience across Shopify
- Obtaining merchant feedback and identifying problem areas before they become major issues
- High level English skills within speaking, writing and reading (Need to attend the meeting held, lead discussions, and write documents)
- 2-3+ years proven experience in account management in Japan and/or broader Asia Pacific region, Ideally in eCommerce or SaaS solutions
- Experience in eCommerce/EC (understanding of acquisition, conversion, retention); it is a complex ecosystem with many moving parts, and you need to communicate how they fit together
- Technical aptitude – quick to develop a deep understanding of new software and a desire to learn the Shopify platform
- Demonstrate a high-degree of customer-centric thinking, behavior and track record and experience working cross-functionally between sales, engineering, and support teams
- Strong business acumen and experience providing strategic advice to customers
- Experience providing customer value and driving retention
- Experience identifying opportunities within your customer base
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with wide range of personalities, levels, and role capacities
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; with the ability to communicate at all levels within and outside the organization with the ability to set expectations and manage difficult conversations
- High level of detail and accountability in your work and recording your efforts
It helps to have
- Previous work with Shopify’s platform as a merchant, a partner, etc.
- Strong knowledge of Salesforce, Excel, Mode or similar CRM software and reporting business tools
- Experience with project management software such as Asana
- Experience or training in Digital Marketing (paid advertising, social media, SEO etc); you know the tactics that will drive results
- Experience in proactively identifying talking points and conducting proactive outreach to clients and extending consultative support
- A focus on product adoption and strong demoing ability are assets.
- Experience speaking at webinars or in person events
- Experience working with other Japanese EC providers and marketplaces
- Past remote work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working within a team consisting of multi-national team members
- Effectively and efficiently reporting to a manager not residing in Japan.
- Experience managing a large number of clients and leading them to success using various tech tools, including online video conferencing systems, email, and other communication tools.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Anyone, anywhere, can start a business