Customer Success Team Lead (Remote, Japan)
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for 2 million merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
About The Role
We’re looking for an experienced leader that not only loves coaching and developing people, but also has a strategic understanding of both the traditional commerce and EC markets in Japan. At Shopify we’re merchant obsessed, and this role will be leading the team, strategy and direction of how we delight our Japanese merchants while in a high growth phase.
As a lead, you will manage a team of Merchant Success Managers (account managers) and will be in charge of owning your team’s development, growth and performance. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding how to manage and direct a team’s day-to-day, as well as facilitating and fuelling your direct reports personal growth. This role will report to the Shopify APAC Merchant Success Regional Lead.
- Helping change enterprise commerce and contributing to the overall strategy and growth of Shopify Plus in Japan
- Lead a high impact merchant facing team to drive deep engagement, value, and service
- Motivate the team to renew and retain merchants, while meeting or exceeding targets
- Supporting the development and execution of strategies that move us deeper into the Japan market
- Drive rapid resolution for issues/escalations and maintain high CSAT and NPS scores
- Support the development of strategic merchant partnerships and build a loyal base that actively advocates for Shopify
- Serve as a cross-functional leader across Shopify – to ensure a unified and seamless merchant experience
- Work with the Japan Country Manager to identify and execute locally strategic priorities
- Identify areas of improvement and make recommendations based on data, analytics and best practices
- At least 3-5+ years proven experience in SaaS account management and / or ecommerce in Japan.
- Business level English and native level Japanese language proficiency required.
- A solid understanding of domestic marketplaces, import/export practices and EC expectations in the region.
- You are a great leader and manager. You help instill confidence and skill in your team. People really want to work both for and with you, and you have experience working with colleagues in office and remote, across time zones.
- You’re able to be an effective teacher and mentor, and have the capability of developing your MSMs to operate at the next level.
- You have experience building teams and strategies in Japan and APAC and understand the complexities and diversity of the market. You are used to owning your market in a global organization.
- A background in customer facing roles. We’ll want to hear about your experiences managing difficult customer service or success situations, and about your impact enabling customers’ success overall.
- Experience working with direct to consumer brands and omnichannel commerce. Strong business acumen and experience providing strategic advice to customers throughout Japan.
- Proven experience in navigating complexity. You will have worked successfully in an environment of constant change, ambiguity, and with rapidly rising expectations.
- Creativity and execution. You come up with unique ways to solve problems, and you’re able to connect the dots and nail down root causes for problems. You don’t easily take no for an answer and are effective in translating strategic directions into action.
- You’re willing and able to get your hands dirty alongside your teams.
- Adept at navigating large complex organizations, matrixed decision-making, working with multiple stakeholders both internally and externally and across global time zones.
- Proven ability to analyze complex situations and drive goals & action plans to lead teams to achieve their key objectives.
- Demonstrate a high-degree of customer-centric thinking, behavior and track record and experience working cross-functionally between sales, engineering, and support teams.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Anyone, anywhere, can start a business