Data Reliability Engineer, Data Platform (Remote, APAC)
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for 2 million merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
About The Role
Our Data Platform Engineering group builds and maintains the platform that delivers accessible data to power decision-making at Shopify for over a million merchants. We’re hiring high-impact developers for our Reliability group:
- The Reliability group operates the data platform efficiently in a consistent and reliable manner. They are reliability engineers that build tools and infrastructure with other teams within the Data Platform to leverage and encourage consistency. They champion reliability across shared platform infrastructure. Think DevOps for Data.
- Data reliability engineers ensure that data flows through the platform on time and as expected. They ensure data services are performing according to service level objectives, that all systems have service level indicators, and if those systems fall below their objectives, recovery is swift.
This is a remote position available in Australia, Japan and Singapore
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
While our teams value specialized skills, they've also got a lot in common. We're looking for a(n):
- High-energy self-starter with experience and passion for data and big data scale processing. You enjoy working in fast-paced environments and love making an impact.
- Exceptional communicator with the ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
- Solid software backend engineer: experienced in building and maintaining systems at scale with reliability metrics as a default.
A Senior Data Reliability Engineer at Shopify typically has 5-7 years of experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Working with deployments of distributed query and compute engines (Spark, Flink, Druid, Trino/PrestoDB)
- Familiarity with modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)
- Experience with troubleshooting Spark / YARN clusters on the cloud.
- Strong programming fundamentals, ideally in a variety of languages (Java, Scala, Python, Go)
- Measuring query latencies, resource allocation and management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- An understanding of operational toil, observability, performance, and scalability
- Familiarity with incident response and management tools like PagerDuty
- Kubernetes certifications (CKA/CKAD) are a plus
- If you don’t know all this stuff, don’t worry, we’ll teach you!
#Senior Software Developer- Distributed Systems #Senior Software Developer- Data Engineering #Senior Data App Developer #Senior Data Reliability Engineer #Senior Software Developer- Reliability #SRE #DevOps #Data Infrastructure #Reliability Engineer
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Anyone, anywhere, can start a business