Senior Software Engineer - Tech Foundations
Senior Software Engineer - Tech Foundations Tribe
Ready for a challenge? Opportunity to be a part of one of the most exciting retail transformations in Australia.
At WooliesX, our people believe in creating better everyday experiences for our community.
With 1,800+ team members, multiple practices and over 100 chapters, there’s a home for everyone here. Whether your interests lie in data driven insights and product engineering, digital media, ecom, operations, customer advocacy, commercial, agile or more, you can find your squad across all kinds of capabilities.
Our squads live their “one day”, every day. We work on Australia’s most innovative tech, design, engineering and more to transform the way that millions of Australians live and shop. Physically, you can find us in Surry Hills, but virtually, we can be anywhere.
Our culture combines the support, care and freedom that comes with being part of the Woolworths Group. We are an agile team embracing diversity of thought and positive change. We thrive on pragmatism, mutual respect, care, curiosity, openness, and a proactive attitude. As a team we continually seek ways to support and learn from each other.
How We Roll
A start-over helping transform our digital practice and disrupt Woolworths and the market, we’re made up of smart people with smart ideas. We’re proud of the work we do and want to be known for delivering exceptional client experiences.
We’re resourceful, inventive and willing to experiment; with the autonomy to do things our way which have a real impact. We’re a new team with great work life balance.
Where We Play
WooliesX Hub is only 2 minutes walk from Central station and walking distance from all the cafes and restaurants that Surry Hills has to offer. The brand new site has been designed to support flexible working with different spaces for different activities such as collaboration, brainstorming or just chilling out.
At WooliesX, we also believe in flexible working, and our teams also have the option to work from home/ remotely or our corporate head office in Bella Vista.
What are we looking for?
WooliesX are seeking senior Software Engineers to join the squads in the Tech Foundations Tribe. The tribe primarily focuses on foundations of Woolworths and Rewards applications and APIs.
Senior Software Engineers work in a team of 3-5 engineers, Technology Lead, a Product Manager, BA and QAs/test engineers to continuously uplift and optimise the online platform that powers Australia’s leading supermarket with significant growth plans.
Our Ideal Candidate
You’re driven by a customer mission and passionate about being part of a tribe of great people. Whatever you love - design, technology, engineering, you’re active in the community that sits around it.
You orient around doing what’s meaningful, purposeful and delivers value. You’re excited about being part of digital transformation and disrupting one of Australia’s biggest companies through its new tech venture.
You’re curious and empathetic, with an eye for the bigger picture. You deal with complexity by collaborating with colleagues, listening to customers, testing ideas and continuously learning. You take authorship for what you create.
- We’re looking for someone with a passion for modern technology and an interest in e-commerce.
- You will be a team player with excellent communication skills.
- You thrive on analysing problems, formulating solutions, and making those a reality. You build for the long term.
- You have a passion for quality and know what best-in-class engineering looks like and want to help drive the journey.
- You’re an engineer with experience dealing with complex problems.
- You ‘get’ agile and feel comfortable giving input on team processes.
- You are keen on what best-in-class engineering looks like.
- You’re involved in the Software Engineering community. You enjoy attending meetups, conferences, having a blog or a GitHub portfolio.
- You enjoy being part of every part of the Software development lifecycle. You can own the code from inception through to Production.
- You want to be part of a Digital Transformation and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
You don’t have to have worked in retail or with a big corporation, but you might have. Or you may have invested your talent in startups, digital SMEs or management consultancies. What you do need is to know how you could contribute to our teams. Be interested and interesting!
- Focus on API services and related microservices continuous improvement and optimisation
- Focus on database performance optimisation
- Develop high quality, scalable and performant solutions.
- Work collaboratively with Product Owners, BAs, QAs and other engineers.
- Participate in the technical delivery of the squad, from designing solutions to deploying them and ensuring correct operation.
- Participate in all agile ceremonies.
- Work closely with Tech Leads to design maintainable, robust, secure systems.
- Help more junior software engineers upskill themselves through guidance, advice and knowledge sharing.
We need you to have
- Strong experience in modern engineering practices and disciplines.
- Ability to stay calm in challenging circumstances and work through problems methodically.
- Details oriented mindset.
- Strong understanding of Agile & Lean delivery principles. Provide input to team processes.
- Resiliency on changing requirements and features and being able to shift focus
And These Technical Skills
- Excellent .NET skills including C#, .NET Core
- Azure experience or another cloud provider (AWS/GCP)
- Solid experience in Unit Testing Principles
- Solid experience with REST APIs
- Strong MS SQL Server including performance optimisation
- Strong experience with CI/CD, infrastructure as code, DevOps, automation
- Understanding of web security (OWASP TOP10, etc.)
- Event streaming, service bus or message queues (Azure Event Hubs/Service Bus, Kafka, RabbitMQ or similar)
- Working with Docker containers & Terraform pipelines
- NoSql databases such as MongoDB/CosmosDB/Redis
- Developing applications with ASP.NET MVC, WebAPI & ORMs (Entity Framework/Dapper)
- Understanding of microservice architectures
- Experience on working with distributed, scalable and highly available systems
It Would Be Nice If You Had Experience With
- Node JS
What's In It For You
- An attractive remuneration package
- Flexible work from home with your team’s agreement
- Tech options - Woolworths are the largest employer of Google Apps in Australia, are early adopters of Agile and have BYOD options too
- Training and Education - We pride ourselves in helping you realise your potential and give you the opportunity to be innovative
- An exciting career - As our business grows, so do the opportunities for our people
- DevX day - quarterly event with high profile guest speakers, prizes, and loads of fun around digital technology
Grow with the Group
As an inclusive, team-first company, our people are at the core of everything we do.
We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or life stage. We are proud to be recognised as a Gold Tier Employer in the Australian Workplace Equality Index for LGBTQ+ inclusion and as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
As our Group continues to evolve, innovate and support our communities, we encourage our team members to do the same with their own careers, by providing ongoing opportunities to grow and make a real difference.
We value flexibility, and encourage our team members to work in ways that meet their work/life commitments and support their wellbeing.
We work hard to create a safe and inclusive environment for all, and most importantly, we're all about creating better experiences – for our customers and for each other.
We’d love to hear from You
If you meet a number of the requirements, but not all, we encourage you to submit your application. You can follow us on LinkedIn or see more opportunities via www.wowcareers.com.au.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Reimagining the everyday