Senior Product Manager
Meet Athena, the Home Loan Wrecker
The big banks are definitely having a lend…Locking borrowers into a life sentence, charging them for sneezing, and giving 0% interest in treating customers like people. We know, we used to work for them. Enter Athena, the Game-Changing Goddess of Good Stuff.
Athena Home Loans launched in 2019 to help Aussie borrowers save money and pay down their home loan faster. Customers switching to Athena are saving ~ $61,000 over the life of their loans. Since launch, Athena has settled over $5.68b in home loans, and saved borrowers over $649m in interest savings – and grown to become one of Australia’s largest fintechs.
93% of borrowers want to pay their home loan faster, but only 1-in-5 think their bank wants them to succeed. Legacy lenders are failing borrowers in meeting this challenge. Athena designed the mortgage experience from the ground up to deliver on this mission. And it is having an impact – 80% of Athena’s customers are already ahead.
Borrowers are sick of loyalty tax, where new customers get great rates and existing customers see theirs creep upwards. Loyalty tax has grown to over 50bp, costing borrowers billions. In an Australian first, Athena promises to never offer new customers a lower interest rate than existing customers with Automatic Rate Match.
Only 7% of home loan borrowers refinance each year. The majority could get a better deal. Legacy lenders use complexity as a superpower: too hard, too slow, too little transparency, too much small print. Athena’s innovative digital platform has been designed to eliminate these barriers.
Athena has built Australia’s first cloud-native home loan platform, covering the full value chain to acquire, originate, service and fund residential mortgages. Fintechs targeting mortgages are typically only focusing on a narrow layer of the value chain (e.g. originations), then handing back to legacy bank systems. By tackling the full stack, Athena aims to cut the cost of running a mortgage business by 70% vs. legacy players, providing sustainable advantage.
Athena has raised $200m in equity funding to date in four funding rounds from leading investors including AirTree Ventures, Apex Capital, AustralianSuper, Hostplus, Macquarie Bank,Square Peg and Sunsuper,.
Customer feedback has been phenomenal. On Trustpilot, Athena has the highest rating of Excellent, with a score of 4.6/5 from almost 800 reviews. NPS is +92, exponentially higher than the Big 4 average NPS of +2.8 and bank industry average of +8.2.
We’re looking for a Product Manager with 5+ years experience to join Athena. You will work closely with designers and engineers within an agile environment to define and deliver on a best in class activation and conversion journey to support customers submitting a home loan application online. You will engage with a broad set of stakeholders across Product, Sales, Ops and Marketing to succeed at this.
Your north star will be improving conversion and speed for our Direct channel from a website visit through to application submission, leveraging capabilities to support customers being activated, nurtured and converted with Athena.
You will build, maintain and deliver on an Acquisition roadmap to build features and enrich the customer experience for:
- Our digital application journey, and how we capture quality customer, financial, property and identity data to enable high and fast conversion to approval at a low cost of origination.
- Our website, and how we activate users via content, tools and experiences to provide opportunities for outreach and engagement to convert them into customers.
- Our nurture tools, combining both automated and human capabilities in deepening our engagement with customers and nudging them into action.
In addition, you will work deeply across the key metrics and will support and lead a range of business initiatives to experiment and implement process change in pursuit of optimising for conversion and growth.
You are impact and delivery driven, you really know how to bring the best out of your squad and have led teams before to continually optimise together. You’re thoughtful and pragmatic, able to make the right prioritisation decisions balancing across a range of business and development opportunities. You have an entrepreneurial spark and can communicate exceptionally well across the whole business and deeply into your squad. Having you around makes everyone better.
Core priorities this role will focus on are:
- Product planning & strategy: Partner with the Head of Acquisition Product in exploring and defining a strategy and product roadmap, working to execute and iteratively deliver on the product roadmap by translating a high-level vision into an MVP, and series of incremental deliveries.
- Backlog grooming & prioritisation: Maintain a brilliant backlog, ensuring priorities can deliver on the product roadmap and are balanced with optimisation initiatives. Keep a healthy amount of user stories ready, manage cross-squad dependencies and implement the most efficient sequencing for development.
- Cross functional engagement: Collaborate with a broad range of internal (from Marketing to Risk to Workplace Technology) and external stakeholders to gather requirements, participate in vendor review and selection processes, communicate timelines and releases to get the right level of input in building the best product.
- Squad Product Ownership: Be the Product Owner in the squad, bringing clarity to what is needed and why. Make your squad your family and help them to be great.
- User Story creation: Anticipating and understanding requirements for prioritised initiatives and translating these into well-defined user stories and acceptance criteria for the squad. Be great at analysis and deeply skilled at data to understand this domain exceptionally well.
- Product delivery: Work closely with your counterparts within the squad - design leadership and engineering leadership to deliver incremental product enhancements, supporting the squad to ensure acceptance criteria and expected outcomes are met. You will actively lead and participate in scrum ceremonies, including grooming, retros, planning and stand-ups creating a smooth operating rhythm for delivery. You will ensure stakeholders are deeply engaged and informed on delivery and release updates.
- Product maintenance: Conduct analysis of incidents and problems as they arise on your product. Make the process of root cause and solution identification as seamless as possible. Prioritise any fixes into the sprint backlog
- Operational excellence: Identify and implement process improvements to increase the velocity and quality of work to deliver value to customers faster.
- Leadership: Act as a multiplier for your squad and stakeholders, by embodying Athena’s values to bind the many functions that interact with Product to run a smooth development and delivery process.
Benefits & Perks
- Extra 2 days (Life) leave per year to spend it how you wish
- Competitive salary
- Flexible and casual working environment
- Ability to work from both home and office
- Loads of support and training
- Fantastic team culture with monthly events
You'll be joining an experienced team, passionate about being best in class in everything we do. We have a relaxed and fun atmosphere where you can bring your unique self and skills to help us all grow as a team. Be great, be you, play nice.
At Athena we are committed to a workplace that embraces diversity, equality, and inclusion. Athenians are free to let their own brand of freak fly.
Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The Game-Changing Goddess of Good Stuff. Athena is helping Aussies pay off their home loan faster.