Director, Business Development
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Business Development
All About Us
Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments business.
We connect consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide and enable them to use secure and convenient electronic forms of payment.
Join the industry’s most passionate, motivated & engaged global team - Our employees are encouraged to drive innovation every day in support of a more connected world – A World Beyond Cash.
- Japan Co-brand sales position is in Tokyo, Japan, and is responsible for developing merchant relationships, understanding their needs, leading consultative selling to acquire, enhance, and grow Mastercard branded merchant co-branded cards and volumes.
- Have you launched products/services in the Japan market?
- Do you have strong knowledge of the rules environment within the Payments ecosystem?
- Are you motivated to help customers and grow Mastercard market share?
- Responsible for developing merchant relationship, understanding their needs, converting that into co-brand opportunities
- Helps identify an issuing partner to the merchant
- Develops, proposes and wins co-brand financial deals with the merchant in order to win brand preference, commitment to a high-performing standard, and results from the merchant
- Works closely with Mastercard’s various product and service teams including Core Products, Data & Services, Digital Payments, and Loyalty Solutions to deliver value in response to their needs
- Works closely with the Japan Account Management team to identify and optimize issuing partnerships for the merchant
- Leads and execute cobrand launch and usage campaigns to drive acquisitions and volume by closely working with Japan and Regional Marketing teams
- Leverages co-branding relationships to enhance Mastercard brand awareness and preference among cardholders
- Enhances merchant relationships by delivering useful, actionable and impactful information to merchants to grow business
- Reports to the Head of Market Development
All About You
- Previous experience in strategizing, selling and winning co-brand card programs with merchants is a must requirement
- Broad network within Japan’s merchant community especially among those who are co-brand material is also a must requirement
- Previous experience in the payment industry and resulting in-depth understanding of the payment ecosystem are critical
- Hands-on experience in the reward program, card offers, usage campaigns will be a strong plus
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts, apply them to business needs and discuss them with both business and technical partners
- Strong learning agility, intellectual curiosity and comfort with ambiguity are required
- Ability to analyze business needs and develop a course of action that effectively integrates technical and business components to yield quantifiable results for Mastercard Worldwide and our client(s)
- Proven project management, problem solving, planning, follow-up and organizational skills, with a proven track record of success
- Ability to manage significant projects ranging from three to twelve plus months in duration resulting in major, often multiple, product/program deployments within Japan
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to thrive and effectively collaborate in a team environment
- Working knowledge of Mastercard products and industry practices to effectively consult with customers regarding successful deployment strategies and best practices is a plus
- Project Management training / certification not required, but a plus
- Comfortable working in a cross-functional / matrix environment
- University Degree preferred
- Fluency in Japanese and English
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Connecting Everyone to Priceless Possibilities