Government Engagement Lead
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
The Government Engagement (GE) team aims to create broad alignment between Visa’s business objectives and public policies that affect the payments industry. Externally, the GE team engages a wide range of stakeholders from the government and industry associations to raise awareness of and build support for policies that expand access to and usage of digital payments in Taiwan. Internally, GE works closely with colleagues across the company including Country management, Products, Merchant Sales and Solutions, Consulting and Analytics, Risk, Legal, Communications, Global Policy, Compliance and Inclusive Impact & Sustainability.
What the Head of Government Engagement, Taiwan does at Visa:
The Head of Government Engagement, Taiwan, is a full-time role responsible for Visa’s government, regulatory and stakeholder engagement in Taiwan.
Based in Taipei, the role will focus on leading development and execution of Visa’s Taiwan government engagement strategy by constructively engaging with the government, regulatory bodies, public sector agencies, industry associations and related stakeholders to ensure policy and regulatory frameworks that are conducive to a fair, level and successful operating environment for Visa’s current and future business.
Critical work streams will include:
- Prominently positioning the value of Visa with political, regulatory and policy decision-makers in Taiwan
- Constructive input and engagement with government stakeholders on existing and new public and regulatory policies, with a view to ensure positive impact on Visa’s business, and the expansion of the electronic payments industry in general
- Identifying partnership opportunities with the government and ensuring Visa is well positioned to take advantage of these opportunities with government agencies in the delivery of Government payments, expansion of travel and tourism, furtherance of financial inclusion, adoption of e-commerce, small-medium enterprise digitalization, fintech enablement and other potential government programs that may benefit from the application of electronic payments
In this role, you are expected to:
- Lead development and implementation of an overall government engagement strategy for Taiwan in close coordination with Greater China Government Engagement Team (led by the Head of Government Engagement for Greater China), Head of Government Engagement for Asia Pacific, Taiwan General Manager, and other Visa business leaders to achieve agreed objectives.
- Monitor the regulatory and political landscape in Taiwan, assess for threats and opportunities to Visa’s business, communicate this intelligence to relevant local, regional or global Visa colleagues and strategize advocacy and engagement approach. Be acutely aware of potential global implications of local issues and coordinate their management with global colleagues.
- Manage Visa’s relationships with government officials, regulators, and policy makers across key government agencies in Taiwan relevant to Visa’s business.
- Proactively manage relationship with Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) for policy guidance and advocacy, notifications and approvals for Visa solutions and regulatory reporting.
- Regularly communicate directly with lawmakers, government officials, regulators, and policy makers that may impact Visa’s business to build awareness about the value of Visa, enhance Visa’s reputation and competitive position in Taiwan.
- Develop and deliver informative and engaging local communications about the value of Visa and the payments industry in general that is aligned with business priorities and global branding.
- Coordinate and ensure local, regional and global business subject matter experts conduct regular face-to-face technical issue briefings with relevant regulators and government officials.
- Support adequate and ongoing Group General Manager, General Manager and senior colleagues contact with key lawmakers and regulators.
- Recommend appropriate contacts and communication channels between Visa local and regional executive leadership with senior government officials.
- Recommend, engage and manage Visa’s relationships with necessary third-party intermediaries including government affairs advisors, industry associations, broad-based and business trade associations, diplomatic missions and civil society organizations.
- Establish and maintain appropriate contact with counterparts at other industry participants including client banks.
- Contribute to the development of Visa’s Social Impact corporate charitable activities in Taiwan ensuring reputable positioning of Visa.
Why this is important to Visa
We believe that inclusive economies uplift everyone, everywhere, which drives our mission to connect the world and enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Visa is working with all of our partners in Taiwan to expand access to the most innovative payment technology powering global commerce. The Head of Government Engagement, Taiwan, is essential to growing our public sector relationships, identifying and managing impact of regulation on Visa’s business, and displaying Visa’s leadership in emerging technology. Through these efforts, we will meaningfully deepen our partnership with policy makers who are shaping the regulatory and operating environment for digital payments.
What you will need:
We are looking for an individual who brings strong leadership skills, exceptional maturity and attention to detail, along with the ability to effectively manage several urgent business priorities and significant regulatory developments simultaneously. The position demands the ability to work constructively in a market, regional and global corporate environment, including working successfully as a leader or member of cross-functional teams. The ability to play an active role in developing strategic policy positions for Visa’s engagement with Government stakeholders will be essential. The ability to work independently but also within a team environment is expected.
As a candidate, you should have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent. Advance degree preferred
- 10 years of relevant corporate position, regulatory or government agency, and/or consultancy serving government stakeholders in Taiwan
- Active network of senior government contacts in Taiwan
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong business relationships with internal and external stakeholders at senior and executive management levels
- Strong financial services and/or technology pedigree preferred, including working knowledge of the digital payments industry
- Political acumen
- Strategic thinking, advocacy and communications planning skills
- Superior interpersonal and presentational skills
- Confident and authoritative manner in all communication channels, with executive presence
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Detailed oriented with strong analytical capabilities
- Execution focused
- The highest standards for ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity, with a strong professional reputation in the industry
- Outstanding written communication abilities and fluency in English and Chinese
- Some travel within Taiwan and to regional meetings are also features of the position
What will also help:
- Crisis management and response skills
- Ability to operate effectively in a challenging, fast-paced environment with limited supervision
Strong ability to work collaboratively with others across geographic boundaries
Visa has adopted a Covid-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the country where this job is located are required to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19, unless as otherwise required by law. You will be asked to provide proof of full vaccination status during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading global payment solutions