Staff Database Engineer
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
We’re part of the Infrastructure’s Distributed Systems Division which delivers operationally excellent open system database infrastructure. We are the industry leader in preventative and predictive operations driven by continuous innovation through self-healing and automated ecosystems. We design, engineer and build reliable, scale-able, secure, available and cost-effective database infrastructure solutions for our product development partners—with whom we work closely. This is why technical expertise and people skills are important!
Members of this team are the technology owners of multiple RDBMS and NoSQL technologies which means if you join us, you will also be responsible to strategize, advance, and engineer enterprise solutions for automated build/patching and efficient administration that meet security, availability, performance, fast delivery and reporting requirements, and to support projects and products using these technologies.
As an engineer on this team, you will be involved in the Plan, Build, and Run aspects of the database technologies, translating into: architecture, engineering, and operational support.
- Primarily the architecture, engineering, deployment and support of MSSQL database technology.
- Support Database Administration and Engineering in the architecture, design, development and deployment, and management of Microsoft SQL database environments. This includes the advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Collaborate with all interested parties, gather requirements and provide recommendation for database standards.
- Provide technical expertise to design the most efficient and cost-effective solutions for Microsoft SQL Servers.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain MSSQL databases in production and non-production environments.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure operations and engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA's and performance target set.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Implementation/Support of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, encryption, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Manage, support and maintain Microsoft SQL Server database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call.
- Regular database capacity planning and archival solution related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Provide DBA support for enterprise monitoring, backup, alerting, and security compliance solutions for SQL servers.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of database issues.
- Write/maintain PowerShell scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
- Advance experience with automation of managerial and repetitive DBA tasks.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office three days a week, Tuesdays,Wednesdays & Thursday with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field is a must.
- 8-10 years of DBA experience with Microsoft SQL Server.
- 2+ Years of experience working on SQL Server on Linux platforms.
- Strong technical skills in TSQL and PowerShell programming to automate SQL Server operational repetitive tasks
- 2+ years of experience in managing team of size minimum of 3+ and working with Global teams is a plus for this position.
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience with Microsoft SQL server technologies (all core areas: SSMS, SQL clustering, Data Synchronization, Encryption, Partitioning, Performance, Security, SSAS, SSIS and SSRS configuration) is mandatory.
- Sound knowledge of all windows and SQL utilities, strong PowerShell knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Solid understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Solid knowledge in database replication technologies including Always-on, GoldenGate, etc. and strong architectural/engineering skills to design systems that meet various applications High Availability and Disaster Recovery requirements.
- Have good experience in engineering processes supporting repetitive or frequent tasks in database administration or deployment.
- Solid understanding and experience in maintain MSSQL technology lifecycle, and automation of MSSQL deployment.
- Good engineering skills in developing enterprise solutions to support MSSQL in areas like backup, monitoring/alerting, security compliance, patching, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrate ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- A good team player, leader, flexible, share knowledge, help others, collaborate well within and outside the team.
- Programming languages Python or C++ is plus for this position
- Work experience in a Financial Institute will be preferred.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy. As a condition of employment, all employees based in Singapore are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading global payment solutions