Technical Architect 2
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 392 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Job Description Summary
The Global Credit Risk, Seller Risk and Collections (GCSC) Risk Intelligence team requires a Data Engineer able to implement business requirements through the design, development, and management of Operational Data Stores (ODS), Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW), and Business Intelligence (BI) technologies. The day-to-day job involves providing technical leadership and contribution to the definition, development, documentation and support of data structures and solutions. In addition, this role serves as the foundational connection between data sources and business intelligence teams working to implement new or advance existing business intelligence solutions. This role is critical in ensuring we build and deliver accurate, scalable, efficient and performant back-end data architecture to ensure analysts, scientists and downstream business intelligence tooling have efficient and performant data. The RI Data Engineer will develop data movement and transformation techniques utilizing various technologies including Hadoop, Hive, Scala/Spark, Python and relational SQL databases. The RI Data Engineer understands the pros and cons of various data architectures in relation to database/cluster compute and associated storage and will help drive the optimal balance for each initiative or deliverable.
Assist with creation of a robust, sustainable, accurate and scalable Risk Intelligence data architecture that supports business requirements and provides for expansion
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to understand the business requirements necessary to deliver data solutions
- Work with end users, business analysts, technical architects, and developers to define the data requirements from source data systems and design optimal data structures for purpose-built solutions
- Design data movement techniques and utilize best practices accommodating very large datasets (100+ GB to multi-TB)
- Evolves data models to meet new and changing business requirements and growth
- Analyze and monitor deployed production code and help develop robust error handling and communication in addition to data quality/anomaly detection
- Define, capture and document metadata and rules associated with ETL processes
- Ensure data architecture designs accommodate data volume, frequency, and long-term growth requirements
- Ensure data structure designs support various access patterns and data stores meet both the functional business requirements and also have the essential system qualities such as security, high availability, performance, inter-operability, geo-partitioning, and scalability
- Work with other architects ensuring all components work together to meet objectives and performance goals as defined in the requirements
- Participate in the development of architectures, strategies, and policies around data governance; including master data management, metadata management, data quality and data profiling
- Makes recommendations to improve operational processes relative to efficiency and effectiveness; provides input and organizational context to major architectural designs to ensure consistency, maintainability and flexibility with respect to overall system, technical and product architecture within a domain or portfolio.
- Analyzes highly complex system and technical issues to implement technologies that align with strategic technical direction.
- Develops solutions to difficult technical problems encountered as part of system implementation, upgrades or support issues
- Utilizes data-mining and critical thinking to convert raw data into solutions that provide accurate and concise insights
- Maintains a high attention to detail in order to ensure the data integrity of architected solutions
- Work effectively in a global team across different time zones.
- Bachelor's Degree required preferably with emphasis on coursework in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Sciences, Operations Research, Financial Engineering, Systems Analysis)
- 5+ years’ experience building large scalable database platforms, specifically with a focus on optimizing data models to an array of data integration and consumption patterns
- Progressively increased levels of responsibility, data modeling expertise including a strong understanding of data sources, relational and dimensional modeling and effective uses of business data (validity, timeliness, and benefit)
- Experience and understanding of data & how to design data models for Payments, FinTech, Financial Services, Consumer & Merchant Lending, Collections industry is required
- Ability to provide critical architectural input including evaluating, proposing and selecting appropriate design alternatives which meet functional requirements
- Prior experience programming with Hadoop, Hive, Scala/Spark, Python and SQL (MPP database a plus) required
- Experience in designing data models for various physical environments, both on-premises as well as in the cloud (Google Big Data Technologies), while influencing for the most efficient approach based on business requirements
- Knowledge and working experience of Jupyter Notebooks as an IDE
- Have experience with git-based source control (GUI and CLI)
- Possesses ability to use effective facilitation skills to elicit requirements from a diverse range of stakeholders and groups
- Ability to anticipate blockers and escalate proactively to team members
- Experience sourcing data from disparate systems with a good understanding of their data models and ETL procedures
- Understanding of best practice data warehousing design patterns and data structures
- Ability to specify and document requirements
- Strong project management skills with high attention to detail on data and a strong focus on meeting deliverables with time limitations - must have ability to multitask and prioritize
- The ability to facilitate prototyping sessions with a variety of end users and stakeholders
- Must possess a strong technical background with relational and dimensional modeling skills
- Ability to manage projects end to end
- Working experience in an agile methodology a plus
- Experience with Linux shell is a plus
- Experience with Qlik Sense is a plus
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
REQ ID R0068676
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Spend, send, and receive money the way you want, simply and securely, with PayPal