Senior Back-end Engineer (Remote in New Zealand)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Hi there! Thanks for stopping by 👋
We are looking for a Senior Back-end Engineer to join our team. As a Senior member of the team, you are expected to perform at a high level and make strong contributions to the team in rapidly and efficiently building solutions to our retailers' problems, focussing on iteration, experimentation, and stability. This role will mainly be focussing on back-end, but you may also be involved in front-end work if you show interest.
Who we are and what we do:
Some exciting news in the Vend journey, we are joining the Lightspeed family! By joining forces, we will continue to power retailers and restaurants with our cloud-based, omnichannel commerce platforms and bring our cities and communities to life.
At the heart of both Lightspeed and Vend are our people and customers. We delight local businesses in over 100 countries and we are trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine. We have offices in Canada, USA, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
💚 Our common mission: ignite the potential of businesses to enrich the communities they serve.We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do!
Engineering @ Vend:
- We build new features on top of a modern stack, consisting of web apps (in a mix of Angular & React) communicating through APIs to Go services, backed by databases and Kafka topics, all deployed using Docker in a continuous delivery cycle to AWS
- You don’t need to have experience in any of our specific technologies: we’re great at teaching good engineers how to use our modern SaaS stack
- We don't follow rigid Scrum or Kanban, but we do work in an agile, iterative way, and try to continuously improve and implement what works for us
- We deploy changes to production every 7 minutes, on average
Check out our latest podcast to hear what it’s like to interview, get a job and grow as an Engineer at Vend: put on your headphones and click here
What you’ll be doing:
- Build stuff: this means coding, delivering new features, code reviews, fixing bugs, peer programming and incident response;
- Own and be accountable for features and high-leverage coding projects;
- Structure projects into small, actionable tasks to deliver the most value in no time;
- Collaborate with engineers, product managers and designers to help plan the work ahead;
- Learn and teach: knowledge sharing, chapter reviews, demos, mentoring fellow engineers
- Work on common services, shared libraries, upgrade/introduce new tooling or libraries, documentation, evolve best practices and processes etc.
What you need to bring:
- Senior level of experience as a Back-end Engineer including both successes and failures (“scars”), which help you make better decisions
- Experience in working on major systems in one or more languages: ideally you’ve built REST API endpoints on top of data storage layers, and understand concepts like authentication, web security, and the way that frontends consume APIs
Why do you want to work at Vend?
- You can help build an amazing product in a company big enough for growth but lean enough to make a genuine impact
- We will provide you with opportunities to develop your career
- You will be offered a competitive salary
Plus, we have a range of benefits that’ll keep you happy, healthy and (not) hungry:
- Paid leave and assistance for new parents
- Travel insurance for you and your family
- Lightspeed Share scheme
- Four weeks annual leave + extra day over the Christmas holidays
Where to from here?
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world, feel free to check out our Instagram here.
Vend is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Effortlessly sell, manage and grow your retail business with Vend, the unparalleled, cloud-based point of sale system.