Senior Regulatory & Compliance Counsel, Asia Pacific
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Position Type :
Type Of Hire :
Experienced (relevant combo of work and education)
Education Desired :
Bachelor of Law
Travel Percentage :
Are you interested in being a part of a collaborative, energetic, and business-oriented legal team? As a lawyer at FIS, you’ll have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging and relevant issues in financial services and information technology. Our talented people empower us, and we believe in being part of a team that is pragmatic, collegial and enthusiastic about representing a thriving Fortune 500 company in a dynamic corporate industry.
About the team
The FIS Legal team is comprised of more than 200 lawyers and paralegals worldwide who enjoy being an advisor to and partner with our businesses to help the company achieve its goals. We work collaboratively with each other and with our business colleagues to solve problems in an effective and pragmatic manner. We view our role as one of supporting our business leaders in a variety of legal matters, and we strive to assist our businesses in meeting their objectives with sound, reasonable and well-considered legal counsel.
What you will be doing
This is an exciting opportunity to join the FIS legal team as a senior regulatory & compliance counsel for the APAC region supporting FIS’ Merchant Solutions (Worldpay), Capital Markets and Banking Solutions businesses across the region. FIS’ business in APAC continues to experience rapid growth in supplying innovative payment, capital markets and banking solutions and services. You will be at the forefront of that continued expansion, operating from our offices in Singapore alongside the APAC regional team. You will form part of the APAC based team of FIS lawyers supporting FIS’ business in the broader APAC region.
This is a broad based in-house legal role primarily focused on providing regulatory & compliance support but also general internal legal advice, to all aspects of the business, a substantial amount of which will be for the Merchant Solutions division of FIS which is at the forefront of regulatory developments in the payments space. You will provide legal advice and counsel to business units within the company on a wide variety of issues that arise in the context of regulations impacting the information technology and payments services sectors, as well as data security, privacy and other regulatory matters. You must display a collaborative working attitude, since you will be expected to work in a team environment both within the FIS legal team and also with the internal stakeholders and businesses that require your guidance and support. As a US owned company that transacts in English, key to this position will be solid English speaking and drafting skills.
You will also:
· Provide high quality, business focused legal support directly to a growing global business through a strong understanding of both the relevant legal and regulatory framework and business requirements in the APAC region
· Work on regulatory licensing applications and other interactions as required with regulators in the APAC region
· Provide support to the business, including risk and compliance focused teams to ensure policies, procedures and products comply with relevant laws and regulations and protect the company’s reputation
· Perform legal research and analysis and keep up to date with changes to information technology law issues, as well as payment processing and payment services, including data security and privacy, technology development, and commercial services
· Support the business and legal team in relation to regulatory issues in client negotiations
· Ensure continual improvements to the capabilities of the in-house legal function.
· Drive a consistency of approach across FIS’ businesses in respect of risk appetite, policy standards and governance.
· Legal education for the business through bespoke training.
· Managing and engaging with external counsel (primarily re regulatory matters)
· Advise business colleagues on legal issues relating to compliance
· Counsel business colleagues in connection with client relationships, including commercial contract dispute matters
What you bring:
· You must be fully qualified as a common law lawyer (e.g. Singapore, UK, ANZ, HK, US/Canada) with an undergraduate qualification to a good degree standard from a leading university
· You must have a minimum of 6 to 10 years’ post qualification experience in the practice of law in a high-quality law firm or in-house environment, and possess a solid understanding of regulatory issues.
· You must have strong professional ethics with a commitment to excellence
· You must have experience interacting with regulators
· Experience of working internationally (or on cross border issues)
· You should have an understanding of financial services and financial services and payments regulation
· You must have strong analytical and advisory skills, including the ability to review and evaluate multi-faceted issues and counsel business colleagues on complex legal questions relating to various business matters. You must possess the ability to use creative problem-solving skills to resolve issues in a pragmatic and sound manner.
· You must have strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with business stakeholders, regulators outside legal counsel, and internal and external clients. This includes strong writing skills and the ability to draft communications with regulators, policies, procedures , dispute resolution documentation and other legal communications.
· You must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, regulators and opposing counsel, and be able to work collaboratively with other team members, both within the FIS Legal team and in other groups. You must also be able to mentor others in their professional legal development.
· You must have the ability to manage multiple issues simultaneously.
· You must be comfortable with technology and the use of technology tools in performing your daily work responsibilities.
· You must be comfortable with ambiguity and change
Added bonus if you have:
· Experience or expertise in the payments industry, including familiarity with cards schemes and scheme rules
What we offer you
· A multifaceted and challenging legal career with a high degree of responsibility
· A broad spectrum of legal experiences with a thriving Fortune 500 corporation in an innovative, ever-changing industry
· A modern work environment, and a collaborative and dedicated group of colleagues who look forward to working together as a team to accomplish our goals
· A competitive salary and a range of benefits designed to support your wellbeing
· The chance to work on some of the most challenging, relevant legal issues in financial services and information technology
FIS is committed to protecting the privacy and security of all personal information that we process in order to provide services to our clients. For specific information on how FIS protects personal information online, please see the Online Privacy Notice.
Recruitment at FIS works primarily on a direct sourcing model; a relatively small portion of our hiring is through recruitment agencies. FIS does not accept resumes from recruitment agencies which are not on the preferred supplier list and is not responsible for any related fees for resumes submitted to job postings, our employees, or any other part of our company.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Advancing the ways the world pays, banks and invests