Engineering Manager, Payment Connections
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Payment Connections team enables Square to move money globally by building highly reliable channels to payment networks and acquirers. As the Engineering Manager for Payment Connections in Tokyo, you will build and lead a team that is a part of a global organization and powers Square’s global expansion.
You will grow your team and the individuals on it while collaborating with a sister team in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, to build the platform that empowers the coffee shop down the street and the website on the other side of the planet to focus on their core business, not on their payments.
- Partner closely with product owners, engineers and business leads around the globe to define your team’s vision and roadmap.
- Build a world-class team by hiring remarkable talent, coaching and developing engineers, fostering engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to maintain a high bar.
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, and urgency in the team.
- Report to a Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA, USA, and help create best practices for splitting projects between teams on both sides of the globe.
- Help us build healthy patterns for a globally distributed workforce, navigating the challenges and opportunities of asynchronous communication.
- Fluency in both Japanese (Native or JLPT-N1) and English. You will need to be able to read and write specifications and business correspondence in Japanese as well as engineering documentation and written and verbal communication in English with your counterparts outside of Japan.
- An innate curiosity about how money moves, and the desire to become an expert in financial systems.
- 8+ years of software development or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers (including providing mentorship, feedback, and investing in the career growth of your team members).
- Effective collaboration with co-workers on other teams and in other locations.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Protocols such as ISO8583 and AS2805
- Deploy code to GCP, AWS, and Square's data centers
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, Envoy
- MySQL, Kafka, SignalFX, Spanner, BigQuery
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Invent today. Shape tomorrow.