Senior Vice President, Public Policy, Asia Pacific
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Vice President, Public Policy, Asia Pacific
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
Mastercard’s Public Policy team protects and defends Mastercard’s reputational and regulatory interests in markets around the world, working closely with regulatory, privacy and other business colleagues. We build programs that earn the goodwill of governments, regulators, merchants and consumers through direct policymaker and other stakeholder engagement and public-private partnerships. Our aim is to reduce the threat of negative regulation and build the platform for policies that build Mastercard’s business by supporting and advising Mastercard’s business strategy, working to ensure that when regulation is sought, it is done so sensibly and fairly.
As part of the Law & Policy team, the Senior Vice President (SVP), Public Policy will lead a team of policy professionals and be responsible for Mastercard’s public policy advocacy efforts and act as point person for relationships with Mastercard’s legislative and regulatory audiences and for engaging existing and building other third-party allies. The SVP Public Policy will also support the President for the Asia Pacific region and work closely with the Divisional Presidents across the region and other members of the leadership team. The role will focus on developing how Mastercard’s interests and reputation can be advanced through engagement with Government, consumer and business groups, as well as other influencers priority market across the region.
- Lead the policy function in an effort to establish Mastercard as a recognized expert and resource in the payments industry, while delivering a measurable positive impact for Mastercard in achieving its overall corporate objectives and goals
- Develop and implement creative strategies to effectively identify and influence the passage or defeat of legislation impacting the corporation, as well as the associated regulatory environment in addition to supporting and coordinating major corporate customer groups in these same areas
- Drive the development of corporate positions on pending legislation and regulation and hold tactical responsibility for drafting relevant responses
- Anticipate significant domestic and regional political trends while developing and modifying strategies to manage these trends
- Establish and maintain key relationships with opinion formers and influencers across the government (legislative and executive), business, consumers and customer segments
- Direct and coordinate all of the company's political activities across the region and provide leadership and input to senior management in reviewing and analyzing policies affecting the company while serving as a member of the larger public policy team.
- Supporting engagement with regulators on Mastercard products and solutions to expand our business interests domestically in line with regional business priorities
- Assist Mastercard's other public policy and regulatory functions and business units, as appropriate
- Actively foster the establishment and participation in multi-industry coalitions that protect the corporate brand while delivering policy results for the company, major customer groups and other parties as necessary
- Oversee advocacy activities and manage external consultants and provide advocacy assignments, manage budgets, registration, lobbying laws, ethics laws, and performance management of contract agencies and consultants
- Serve as the lead company representative with key trade associations, coalitions and industry peers across the region
- Supervises regional Public Policy team, conducts goal setting and performance appraisal, coaches and develops employees as an organizational resource
- Provide senior management with guidance and analysis to enable fully informed policy decisions
- Establish, manage and develop an adaptive system for timely, coordinated, uniform and analytical communication to senior management by all internal and external resources
All About You
- Educated to degree level, with management experience in similar regional level Public Policy/Government Relations roles in a major multinational business or agency or high-profile association and with strong background in dealing with Government and influencers.
- Significant policy experience, preferably including policy experience in technology or financial services issues
- Strong leadership and management skills with particular success building and enhancing credibility for the function with the organization.
- Proven experience and comfort with Executive level policy interactions
- A team player who will work well with senior business and functional leaders. Must be able to work independently and also constructively as a collaborative team-player. High-energy, self-motivated, results-driven and politically savvy
- Maturity, tact and judgment, strong negotiation skills
- Excellent written and spoken English communication and interpersonal skills as a foundation for developing and maintaining strong internal relationships at all levels, cross-functionally and across business units and geographies within the Company
- Must possess strong analytical approach to problem solving, ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems, able to deal with short deadlines and work productively in high pressure situations in dynamic commercial and policy environments.
- Genuine interest in public policy, current events and the geo-political environment and impact.
- Good understanding of Fintechs and enabling role a plus.
- Willing to travel for business as required.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Connecting Everyone to Priceless Possibilities