This job is no longer accepting applications.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The mission of the Compliance Operations team at Square Japan is to perform the day-to-day operational tasks associated with payment network,partnership, and regulatory requirements. The team actively engages in monitoring for prohibited activities such as anti-money laundering activity along with enforcing Square's Merchant User Agreement. Other areas of responsibility include sanction checks, liaison with law enforcement agencies and interactions with corporate partners and the credit card payment networks.
- Monitor and act upon reports involving compliance-related alerts
- Verify merchant information and conduct due diligence reviews as part of Square's on-boarding review policy
- Ensure all daily operation deliverables are met within established SLAs
- Interact with Square merchants in writing to ensure full compliance with all applicable laws and policies
- Provide coaching and training on account reviews for new and junior team members
- Conduct regular reviews of operations processes to ensure functionality and develop additional efficiency
- Work cross-functionally with Customer Support, Risk, and other teams within Square and advise on compliance operations.
- Communicate with corporate partners to ensure our compliance monitoring is aligned with their requirements
Policy & Programs
- Work with the Governance team to ensure our existing policies and programs are up to date and aligned with enterprise standards
- Communicate with stakeholders on compliance policy & programs and best practices. Work with them to remediate identified issues
- Research relevant laws and regulations and work with Legal to provide guidance and interpretation
- 3+ years of experience in compliance or policy development/implementation work with a financial institution or payment-focused company
- a 4-year undergraduate degree
- Investigative skills, including familiarity with public record research and database tools
- Transaction analysis skills that apply across numerous financial products and services in complex scenarios
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Japanese and English
- A passion for Square and an interest in technology/knowledge of the industry
- Understanding of compliance policy and programs in Japan financial industry
- Regulatory/payment network rule experience
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Invent today. Shape tomorrow.