This job is no longer accepting applications.
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 325 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
When applying for a job you are required to create an account, if you have already created an account - click Sign In.
Creating an account will allow you to follow the progress of your applications. Our system does have some requirements that will help us process your application, below are some guidelines for creation of your account:
- Provide full legal First Name/Family Name – this is important for us to ensure our future hires have the right system set up.
- Please Capitalize first letter of your First and Last Name.
- Please avoid using fully capitalized text for your First and/or Last Name.
- NOTE: If your name is hyphenated or has multiple capitalization, please use the same format as your government ID.
Job Description Summary:
Job Description Summary
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for working on data applications and services that are integral to driving PayPal's IAOD Data Foundation Platform. You will work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation and experimentation are a given.Job Description:
- Works with PayPal business units and Product Dev teams to design, develop and deliver data solutions on one of the largest data platforms in the world.
- Supports PayPal business units by providing data in a ready-to-use form to data analysts and data scientists for Business insights, predictive analytics, machine learning, etc.
- Owns and is accountable for the design and development of a Data solution feature or a Data Pipeline.
- Code is well-commented, easy to maintain, and can be reused across a sub-system or feature. Code may persist for the lifetime of a software version
- Code is thoroughly tested with very few bugs, and is supported by unit tests.
- Recognized as the go-to developer for a product or major system and is seen as a leader in their specialized field.
- Leads feature or component design reviews and code reviews and is fully recognized as the go-to developer for that component.
- Participates in architecture discussions, proposes and discusses solutions to system and product changes that are directly related to their area of focus.
- Responsible for managing multiple Applications, providing necessary support and maintenance activities.
- Should be comfortable working in an agile environment and with cross-functional teams, should have appetite to learn and be flexible to pick up new technology.
- EE/CS or related majors. Bachelor and above.
- 5+ years working in big data engineer or a similar role in large enterprise data warehouse teams preferred.
- Can be relied on to deliver a data pipeline on time and to requirements, without data quality issues.
- Leads the team, and contributes effectively to the success of those that they interact with regularly.
- Able to evangelize best practices through prototyping or other means.
- Helps to resolve site data base issues and SLA, ATB impacts.
- Good understanding of Data Modelling Concepts, experience with modelling data and metadata to support relational & non relational database implementations; experience with building Logical and Physical data models.
- Familiar with various big data technologies, open source data processing frameworks.
- Evaluates and implements data solutions with various big-data technologies.
- Good understanding of data processing, data structure optimization and design for scalability.
- Optimize ETL processing of extremely large datasets; Optimization for SLAs
- Good understanding of REST-oriented APIs , understanding of distributed systems, data streaming, NoSQL solutions for creating and managing data integration pipelines for Batch and Real Time Data needs.
- Excellent communication and team player skills to collaborate with cross functional teams for successful delivery of Data solutions.
- Understanding of version control systems, particularly GIT.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good understanding of database principles and SQL beyond just data access.
- Expert in multiple Programming/scripting languages, i.e.Unix/Linux Shell Scripting, Perl, Python, C++, Java, Python, Ruby, Scala,etc
- Intermediate level knowledge on following technologies:
- Spark with Python or Scala
- Scripting (Shell, Python, Java)
- Database fundamentals (Oracle or Teradata)
- Hadoop echo system
- Elastic search
- Intermediate level knowledge on following business domains is a plus:
- Customer Service
- Merchant servicing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Spend, send, and receive money the way you want, simply and securely, with PayPal