Director, Head of Japan Compliance
At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
Job Description Summary:
Delivering on the regulatory requirements for PayPal business operations in Japan, this leadership position is responsible for second line oversight of the Risk and Compliance Management Program in the local market, driving a data-driven approach that meets both the PayPal global framework and all local regulatory requirements. This role will report to the Head of APAC Risk & Compliance.
- Key point of contact for regulators (e.g. FSA and KLFB) and Business in Japan for oversight of local execution of the Enterprise Risk and Compliance Management framework
- Provide day to day management and support for all local regulatory interactions, examinations and ad-hoc requests.
- Provide guidance to business partners relating to the development of controls for critical business processes to mitigate compliance/operational risk.
- Partner with the Global Risk & Compliance team to ensure compliance with local prudential risk and compliance requirements.
- Identify potential areas of operational risk and compliance vulnerability, developing and implementing solutions to resolve issues, and providing guidance for future avoidance of similar issues.
- Serve as a credible business partner to executives and other key stakeholders.
- Execute risk and compliance assessments and recommendations to strengthen the control environment.
- Provide subject matter expertise to the business in identifying, assessing, prioritizing, and managing risk.
- Ensure regulatory requirements are understood and complied with within emerging growth initiatives and new products.
- Support drafting of key policies and guidelines.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team professionals; strive to deliver exceptional and responsive service by providing risk and compliance management expertise in a clear, solution oriented and customer-focused manner.
- Support execution of regulatory change management initiatives.
- Support maintenance of risks in line with risk taxonomy, framework and assessment process.
- Support first line in prioritization of risk mitigation.
- Escalate timely and actionable information to key stakeholders.
- Support management and operations with problem solving on regulatory matters.
- Deep knowledge of global financial institutions, money service business, and/or payments compliance, including significant knowledge of anti-money laundering, data protection, anti-corruption/Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and consumer protection regulations.
- At least 15 years of experience in a large organization including demonstrated leadership in building risk and compliance frameworks.
- At least 10 years of people management experience.
- Extensive experience with regulators and the regulatory exam process, ideally for non-bank financial institutions.
- Ex-regulator experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including strengths in influencing, conflict management, and negotiation.
- Ability to communicate complex matters in a simple and clear manner.
- Ability to take ownership of outcomes and the ability to work with business unit teams to confront issues and drive performance.
- Skilled at identifying and recommending cost effective solutions and organizing resource allocation.
- Extensive experience in partnering with and counseling senior business clients, particularly in the context of a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong problem solving and operational process skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to analyze regulatory risks in complex business processes, and recommend controls to mitigate those risks.
- Excellent presentation and project management skills with the ability to successfully work multiple issues at one time.
- High energy and creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to work in a growing and changing environment.
- Ability to work within a matrixed environment, and cross functionally with operations and technology functions.
- Ability to operate with strong integrity with the ability to handle projects of a sensitive and confidential nature.
- Strong computer knowledge; excellent MS Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint skills.
At PayPal, we’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can’t do this without our most important asset—you. That’s why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
We have great benefits including a flexible work environment, employee shares options, health and life insurance and more. To learn more about our benefits please visit https://www.paypalbenefits.com
Who We Are:
To learn more about our culture and community visit https://about.pypl.com/who-we-are/default.aspx
PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution for more than 20 years. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, the PayPal platform is empowering more than 400 million consumers and merchants in more than 200 markets to join and thrive in the global economy. For more information, visit paypal.com.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
As part of PayPal’s commitment to employees’ health and safety, we have established in-office Covid-19 protocols and requirements, based on expert guidance. Depending on location, this might include a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for any employee whose role requires them to work onsite. Employees may request reasonable accommodation based on a medical condition or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
REQ ID R0099696
Your application has been successfully submitted.