Product Marketing Manager
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn't work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we've embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we're a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We're building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
As Square’s first Japan-based Product Marketing Manager (PMM), you will take the reigns launching and growing Square’s products in a new market.
You will champion the voice of the customer to develop and market our products - identifying which customer segments Square Japan can serve, understanding sellers' needs, and using research insights to influence Square's product roadmap.
You'll have a strong understanding of product strategy, branding, full-funnel integrated marketing strategy, growth marketing and sales enablement, as well as a track record of cross-functional coordination. You will partner with Product, Industry Relations and Operations, Creative, Engineering, Data Science, Central Marketing, Communications, as well as Sales and Account Management globally and in Japan. You will report to a Product Marketing Manager based in Sydney, and can be based anywhere in Japan.
- Deeply understand the market, competitor context and market-specific regulations that make Japan a unique place to launch and grow our products
- Collaborate to design the product roadmap, completing market, competitor and customer research to map unmet customer needs and prioritise solutions that help small businesses succeed
- Drive go-to-market strategies - including targeting, segmentation, product positioning, value propositions, key messaging, marketing channels (paid, earned, and owned), budgets, and lifecycle campaigns - across the customer journey to convert, grow, and retain our customers
- Have deep empathy for our customers' pain points and needs through qualitative and quantitative research (surveys, interviews, and product usage)
- Ensure that the voice of the customer is always represented in every customer product and marketing experience
- Collaborate with the local industry relations team and global product managers, engineers, designers, data scientists, and other team leads to identify impactful product opportunities, prioritise efforts and share insights on the Japanese market
- Review competitive offerings and promote ongoing differentiation in our marketing and products
- In partnership with the industry relations team, assess potential industry partnerships that unlock the delivery of new products to market, providing diligence on options that enable the delivery of the best fit products for sellers
- Own the metrics - be comfortable tracking and reporting out on goals, measuring performance, and identifying optimisation opportunities
- Partner with Sales, Account Management, and Customer Success to create a holistic approach to sales training and enablement, onboarding, and ongoing customer engagement
- Work with designers and copywriters to develop compelling and unique marketing collateral across channels
- Ensure product releases are launched with appropriate localisation and messaging for Japan
- 8 years+ of marketing experience
- A BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Fluent speaker of Japanese and English
- Demonstrated understanding of product marketing, growth or lifecycle marketing, or similar go-to-market positions in the Japanese market
- Designed go-to-market strategies for product launches, and conducting customer insights research
- Background in B2C marketing, with experience delivering growth in consumer tech or small to medium business tech
- Experience in growth or lifecycle marketing by email, in-product, content marketing, and other owned/earned channels
- Background in financial services, fintech, SMB marketing or with card products is advantageous
- Ability to work with a global team of stakeholders, explaining cultural and market differences
- Passion for Square and desire to help Square Sellers in Japanese succeed
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Your application has been successfully submitted.