Senior Engineering Manager, Backend
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
In this position you’ll oversee a team of Engineering Managers as they and their teams design and develop services and infrastructure used by millions of our customers each day. Examples include services related to crypto and blockchain, trading and payments among many others and org sizes generally range from 25 - 40 split across multiple teams. This role typically owns an entire service vertical and partners very closely with Product Management.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Build and manage backend engineering teams and guide the development of services and infrastructure across both web and mobile.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering to break down complex projects into smaller pieces and iterate on their design and implementation.
- Coach your direct reports to have a positive impact on the organization and chart a fulfilling career path.
- Be a thoughtful technical voice and support your team in making diligent architectural decisions.
- Work with our talent organization to source and hire amazing engineers who will expand the Coinbase culture and product.
- Contribute to owning and delivering processes that drive engineering quality and meet our engineering SLAs.
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- A minimum of 10 years experience in software engineering
- At least 5 years of engineering management experience
- You know what high quality code — and software engineering processes — look like and know how to foster an environment that creates them.
- Execution focused with an ability to navigate ambiguity.
- Ability to do both long term thinking and short term planning.
- Experience creating, delivering, and operating multi-tenanted, distributed systems at scale.
- You're passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Jump start your crypto portfolio