Senior Engineering Manager - Search & Big Data
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are Zip, a rapidly expanding global fintech headquartered out of Sydney, Australia with a growing presence focused in the US, Canada and UK markets.
We're here to simplify how the world pays for what they need by connecting merchants with consumers and offering them fair and seamless payment solutions, everywhere. We’re also the brains behind Pocketbook which helps almost a million Aussies take control of their money and improve their financial wellbeing.
Our values are at the heart of everything we do. They form our Mamba mentality - how we’re better than yesterday, and are used to create game-changing experiences for our customers and our people.
As Senior Engineering Manager within our Search and Big Data squad, you will be responsible for managing the teams through development and deployment of our Search API middleware, ML pipeline and Elasticsearch database. Your engineers will have in-depth knowledge of Terraform on AWS as well as experience with Python, Golang and Java - so coming from this background is advantageous but not a necessity!
To manage and architect the rollout of our product search, discovery and recommendations engine, you will be tasked with further building the team, while working with the global teams to scale at pace all event driven/stream processing aggregation pipeline to build user persona’s.
Your years of experience within Senior Management, coupled with your Engineer's polyglot backend programming experience, will ensure the success of the broader global team to provide a world-class search and recommendations experience.
What you'll do:
- Establish, plan and execute on strategic goals by gathering pertinent business and operations information.
- Arrange, encourage and run regularly check-ins with engineers in your team.
- Track progression and success of each engineer in the team.
- Plan and coordinate engineering projects.
- Keep the bigger picture in mind, planning new/exciting features and running daily stand-ups.
- Gain holistic understanding of the whole system and teams.
- Feel responsible for what you do - strong sense of ownership: You build it, you test it, you run it, you deploy it and you support it.
- Work in a fast-paced environment where priority changes occur often - be agile while hiking around waterfalls.
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Work in a team with a "customer first" and “team first” mentality.
- Consciously create a workplace culture that is consistent with the overall organisation and that emphasises the identified mission, vision, guiding principles, and values of the organisation.
To help us level up, you'll ideally have:
- 4 + Years Management experience within Engineering, Tech, Infrastructure.
- Knowledge and experience in business, supervision, and management.
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching & development skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a department and department staff members.
- Excellent organisational management and stakeholder management skills.
- Knowledge of AWS, more particularly with data processing services and dockerized environments
- Knowledge of Backend languages such as Golang, Python, Pyspark
- Experience with Elasticsearch or any search engine system
Bonus points for:
- Past experience in startup environments as a founder or a key employee, such as CTO, Engineering Manager or Tech Lead.
- Working on search engines and/or data pipelines and/or event stream processing.
We’re looking for someone who always finds new boundaries to cross - a future Zipster who will obsess over excellence and make constant improvements for our customers. We’ve removed the red tape here to get things done quickly, so if you see a problem, own the solution. You've gotta hustle at Zip!
If you only meet some of the requirements for this role, that's okay. We value a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas and believe this is fundamental for our future success. So, if you have the curiosity to learn and the willingness to teach what you know, we'd love to hear from you.
We pride ourselves on creating an inclusive workplace that provides equal opportunities to all persons regardless of their age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, or anything else.
Benefits @ Zip
- Flexible working culture
- Share incentive programs
- Generous paid parental leave
- Birthday and wellness leave
- Epic offices with a casual dress code
- Fun team with high-growth hustle
- Free breakfast and weekly lunches
- Heaps of social events
Join us on our mission to be the first payment choice, everywhere and every day.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Tap & Zip everywhere. Pay later.