Application Support Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
For more than 30 years Verifone has established a remarkable record of leadership in the electronic payment technology industry. Verifone has one of the leading electronic payment solutions brands and is one of the largest providers of electronic payment systems worldwide.
Verifone has a diverse, dynamic and fast paced work environment in which employees are focused on results and have opportunities to excel. We take pride in the fact that we work with leading retailers, merchants, banks, and third party partners to invent and deliver innovative payments solution around the world. We strive for excellence in our products and services, and are obsessed with customer happiness. Across the globe, Verifone employees are leading the payments industry through experience, innovation, and an ambitious spirit. Whether it’s developing the next platform of secure payment systems or searching for new ways to bring electronic payments to new markets, the team at Verifone is dedicated to the success of our customers, partners and investors. It is this passion for innovation that drives each one of our employees for personal and professional success.
About the role
Verifone are seeking an Applications Support Engineer to work as part of its Cloud Services Team to support and maintain the various applications within its payment environment. These environments, hosted in both public and private cloud, are designed to process millions of transactions each day. To achieve this the company offers 24/7 services with strict service availability and service level agreements. The primary focus for this role will be to assist in the smooth operation of Verifone’s PaaS business strategy, as part of a team providing point of contact for all production Payment Gateway support issues or technical questions. The role involves working closely with the Technical Helpdesk, Delivery teams and other technology providers to manage and resolve requests, incidents and problems escalated from the Helpdesk and IT Operations Center (ITOC). Dependent on business requirements, the scope of this role and working hours may change.
Working hours is Monday to Friday, 9:00 – 5:00pm NZST. Ad-hoc support may be required outside of these hours dependent on business requirements. Once sufficient experience gained, there may be a requirement to participate in a formal out-of-hours on-call support rotation, depending on business requirements. The on-call rotation, if implemented, would cover 24/7/365, including weekends and public holidays.
The successful applicant will be working in a fast-moving managed service environment so must be flexible and be able to multi-task between resolving support issues and working on projects to meet the company’s long-term goals.
What you'll do
- Support end-users in the functionality of Gateway applications and its components
- Manage, triage, prioritise, investigate and solve Gateway application related requests and incidents escalated from the Technical Helpdesk, ITOC or customers
- Work alongside Cloud-Ops, Development and Infrastructure Teams to support scripting the automation for building and deploying applications
- Recommend improvements and optimizations to improve the overall reliability, performance and cost of the VCS platform
- Implement continual improvement of gateway application, database and service architecture and monitoring
- Complete acceptance testing of new releases and patches, providing technical feedback to Development and QA Teams
- Manage deployment of system changes and maintenance tasks during specified maintenance windows
- Provide 24/7/365 on-call support by responding to escalations, alerts, incidents and problems that affect the environment and payment systems the team is responsible for
- Complete BAU tasks, escalating where exceptions occur
- Develop and implement new BAU tasks and manage change within BAU task procedures
- Maintaining of technical documentation
- Review documentation and change control for technical accuracy
- Preparation of technical documentation and SLA reporting
- Provide input into the development and application of policies and procedures
- Fulfill business request and customer boarding requirements
- Liaise with internal Cloud Services Teams – 24/7 ITOC, Networking, Infrastructure and Database-Infrastructure and external Verifone Teams - Development, QA and Security & Compliance teams
- Provide out of hours on-call support for the managed services as part of a rota
- Perform Capacity planning
- Perform OS patching
- Create of internal and Customer/Business Management Information
- Respond to Customer RFPs
- Apply a sense of urgency, commitment and focus on the right priorities in developing solutions in a timely fashion
- Participate in product evaluation initiatives including feature analysis and system trade-offs
- Provide support and input for PCI audits and security compliance
- Work to delivery enterprise quality, on time
- Participate in design and architect of technical solutions
- Recommend potential improvements in infrastructure, automation, processes or services and is prepared to manage change
- Monitor and follow up outstanding issues
- Process compliance
What qualifications will you need to be successful?
- Minimum 2 years of applications support experience in production environments running on Linux – RedHat highly preferred
- Strong confidence utilising Linux/Unix, using CLI, scripting
- Strong confidence utilising databases, querying and troubleshooting incidents, working alongside Infrastructure DBAs as required
- Working experience in a hosted service environment running mission critical non-stop applications
- Experience and confidence in supporting production applications in private and public cloud environments
- Experience in Release Management, planning and deployment
- Experience following change management and incident management processes
- Experience providing on-call support
- Experience of using ITSM toolsets (supporting change, incident and problem management functions)
- Knowledge of Enterprise monitoring systems
- Experience supporting major change projects and initiatives
- Knowledge of security best practices
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Effective time management skills and ability to work both independently and with others
- Solid knowledge of current internal and external IT industry standards, practices and methodologies
- Understanding of network topology, load-balancers, firewalls
- Understanding of PKI infrastructure, certificates and their management
Knowledge/ Experience – Preferred
- Working knowledge in PostgreSQL
- Exposure to SVP environments (performance / stress-testing)
- Working knowledge of Puppet, Ansible, Git / Bitbucket – good to have
- Red-Hat Linux or equivalent certifications
- Knowledge of automation and Dev-Ops fundamentals is preferred
- Exposure to payment gateway architecture/applications highly desirable
- Knowledge of Java, Python, Mapd,, XML, web services, SOAP UI, SNOW.
- Knowledge of centralised logging solutions (Splunk, ELK)
- ITIL Foundation certification
- Knowledge of REDIS, Graph DB
- Knowledge of card payments industry
- Knowledge of PCI compliance and PCI audits
- Exposure to other database technologies and operating systems beneficial
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Verifone solves the world’s most complex payment challenges every day