Data Science Manager, APAC
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the role
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organisation. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Delivering meaningful insights and predictive recommendations that help guide a business owner around product, marketing, logistics, finance and customers decisions is a huge opportunity. You and your team’s mandate involves developing and scaling these insights across 1M+ businesses, countless product types, geographies, and sizes of merchants. Most of those businesses are too small to staff a team focused on understanding their data, but you can help all of them to leverage advanced analytics and machine learning to make better decisions and succeed in competitive markets.
We are looking for a talented Data Science Manager to grow and develop Shopify's first data science team across the Asia Pacific region and to help us better understand our merchants and buyers in this region, so we can help them on their journey. In doing so you will work cross functionally with our product and commercial teams in this region, and educate wider Shopify about this multi-faceted and varied region of the globe.
This role is to be based within Asia-Pacific (APAC) preferably in Singapore, India or Australia.
- To build our data science function across APAC.
- Partner closely with commercial leaders in APAC to influence RnD and commercial program decisions with data
- Advocate for, and be willing to educate wider Shopify about APAC market nuances
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains
- Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed) to inform improvements to our business
- Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders to build instrumentation and define dimensional models, tables or schemas that support business processes
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products
- Master’s or PhD in Information Technology, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent is preferred
- At least 10 years’ of relevant experience in machine learning techniques, data analytics and design
- A leader who can motivate and drive excellence within the team
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing data science projects, and also providing strong technical guidance and coaching to junior data scientists
- Strong analytical and organization skills, with the ability to collect, organise, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong collaboration skills, able to partner and work effectively across teams and with business stakeholders
- Good communication skills, able to articulate technical concepts and drive discussions
- Must be competent in Python (or familiar languages) and SQL. Familiar with open sourced platforms and libraries such as Scikit-learn, Spark, Hadoop, Airflow, Pytorch, Tensorflow, Docker
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Anyone, anywhere, can start a business