Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.Job Description
The Creative Director. Product Marketing will lead a multidisciplinary team in marketing Square’s Retail POS and ecosystem of products built for retailers. This team works hand in hand with the Retail Product Marketing team to deliver impactful and beautiful assets that move retailers down the funnel, from consideration through adoption, onboarding and engagement. The team of nine includes Art Directors, Designers, Copywriters, Production Designers, and Design Technologists. Responsibilities include:
What we’re looking for:
- Establish a vision for Square for Retail that the team can align around and move toward
- Manage and mentor multidisciplinary creatives, while creating an inclusive, collaborative, and productive team culture
- Partner with stakeholders to prioritize creative projects that best serve team goals; balance strategic investments in larger conceptual projects with the ability to produce a high volume of low-investment but important projects
- Scale the team and its processes to support a growing list of countries and programs
- Provide clear feedback and direction to improve the quality and effectiveness of the work being delivered
- Advocate for great creative work—and the needs of the team—with senior leadership
- Oversee the delivery of assets to support GTM launches, sales enablement, seller education and lifecycle communications
If you are right for this role, you will push past safe and predictable ideas, helping lead the team to create work that resonates with and inspires our Retail audience. Your portfolio should represent an ability to tell culturally relevant, compelling stories with beautiful execution, regardless of the audience. You are experienced in building creative for global audiences in digital marketing channels like web, email, display, social, landing pages, and enablement materials including pitch decks, case studies, and testimonials.
You will be a trusted leader among multiple leadership groups. You are experienced in weighing options based on business impact, know when to move fast and when to slow down, and focus on accomplishing our goals as you give feedback and direction. You have experience influencing roadmaps and partnering with product marketers (or similar), product development teams, and senior leadership. You will help navigate complex challenges and seek to understand non-creative perspectives.
Perhaps most importantly, we are looking for a great people leader. You should not only have experience leading teams, but doing it with a servant leader approach. You should lead with inclusivity and empathy—and have a healthy mentality about work-life balance. Productivity is also an important outcome of good leadership, so we are looking for someone who values process, prioritization, and efficiency.You will report to the Group Creative Director.
This position is remote from the United States or Canada.Qualifications
- 10+ years of related experience—open to design or copy background but must have sensibility for both (i.e. a portfolio of work that showcases high-quality design and storytelling, and experience providing feedback across disciplines)
- 3+ years experience managing multi-disciplinary in-house creative teams of 4+ people
- Some relevant experience regarding channels, challenges, and audiences:
- Channels: Web, email, digital marketing, social, landing pages, sales enablement, in-app /in-product placements
- Challenges: Moving upmarket, building audience and product-specific creative within a larger umbrella brand, doing creative work, localization for international markets
- Audiences: SMB, Retailers (businesses with inventory), + generally Tech, B2B, Fintech, and Saas
- Recent experience in in-house creative teams, ideally with previous agency experience
- Experience marketing a product through both audience-first storytelling, and lower funnel conversion tactics
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.