Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers.
Check's Risk Operations team is responsible for analyzing company data and monitoring payrolls to minimize credit and fraud risk and uphold our regulatory requirements. As an embedded payroll solution, we work with our partners to identify bad actors and assess companies' ability to fund payrolls, all while minimizing friction during the new company onboarding process. This team also works closely with our product and engineering teams to continuously improve our risk processes, tools, and systems.
For this role, we are looking for a Risk Analyst with experience investigating entities and transactions, an entrepreneurial mindset, and a desire to help us develop our risk procedures. The ideal candidate thrives in a cross-functional environment and is eager to work deeply with our partners, compliance, legal, operations, engineering and product teams to ensure we are effectively supporting our customers, minimizing risk, and continuing to build better tools and systems.In this role, you will:
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- Execute our company review, payroll monitoring, and failed funding processes, working efficiently with attention to detail and clear communication both internally and externally with our partners and customers
- Investigate and analyze data to more proactively identify and act upon risk signals for companies and payrolls
- Develop and maintain risk policy and process documents, training other operators, team members, and partners as needed
- Provide feedback to Check's R&D teams to improve our enrollment and risk processes, tools, and systems
- Escalate potential fraud incidents to appropriate teams, documenting learnings and resolving actions items with cross-functional stakeholders
Travel and Office Policy
- Have 1 - 3 years of experience in risk and fraud investigation or similar fintech analytics role
- Eager to find risk patterns in Check data and third-party data (Fluent in SQL or willing to learn)
- Have worked at a fast-paced, data-driven tech company
- Excellent time management and prioritization
- Have strong communication skills
- Are detailed-oriented and capable of managing a process from start to finish
- Are eager to help develop new processes and iterate on existing ones
- Enjoy working with members from across the organization and with customers
- Willingness and ability to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall
The Check team is distributed across the US and Canada and we have offices in New York City and San Francisco. While we welcome remote work, we believe time together in person is valuable and important. We offer ample opportunities and encourage employees to attend team offsites, events, and hackathons a couple of times a year! We expect all employees to be willing to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall.
For our in-office and hybrid employees, our offices are open all week. We provide meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the team hosts regular happy hours, game nights, etc.What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $75,000 and $95,000, dependent upon each candidate's unique experience and qualifications.Check is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Check is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com with "accommodations" in the subject line.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.