Manager of Data Science
At Vesta, we envision a world without e-commerce fraud. We’re passionately pursuing that future by building industry leading SaaS solutions for fraud protection and guaranteed e-commerce payments to a global customer base. We are headquartered in Portland, Oregon with offices in the US, Singapore, Ireland and Mexico.
Our Machine Learning team is seeking a highly motivated Manager of Data Science to join our team. Vesta relies on machine learning at the core of its product offerings which help our e-commerce customers maximize revenue and minimize fraud. As a Manager of Data Science on the Machine Learning team, you will work with data scientists and machine learning engineers to build machine learning products across the full ML lifecycle: from data to feature engineering, model training, and deployment. You’ll work with the latest cloud and ML technologies to create end-to-end machine learning solutions for our customers across the globe.
You’ll lead a team of talented data analysts and data scientists who are using cutting edge methods to detect fraud, mitigate fraud attacks. As the Manager of Data Science, you will ensure that our models and model delivery is fast, reliable, and highly scalable.
- Lead a team of data scientists and analysts that build and operate our fraud detection and approval optimization systems.
- Recruit high caliber technical talent, providing hand-on coaching and technical mentorship to the team.
- Work with your team to create high quality ML models using the latest open source and cloud technologies
- Work as a cross-disciplinary team with data scientists, engineers, product and operations to solve complex problems
- Play a leadership role in all stages of a machine learning solution: from ideation, through model development through monitoring and updating of models live in production
- Create our ML infrastructure, including data & model training pipelines, MLOps and monitoring/anomaly detection
- Focus on our customers and identify new areas where machine learning and new technologies can create better customer outcomes
- Build a team culture where everyone works together to improve.
Education & Skills:
- Experience working with clients.
- Strong Quantitative background: you have an advanced degree in machine learning, applied math, statistics, physics, engineering, computer science, or similar.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in data science, machine learning. You’ve built and deployed ML models using technologies like Python, SQL, Spark or Databricks
- Proficient in one or more modern machine learning methodologies, such as tree-based methods, graph analytics and anomaly detection.
- Strong Python programming skills and working knowledge of one or more ML libraries/frameworks, such as scikit-learn, XGBoost, LightGBM
- Software engineering practices (git, unit testing, CI/CD) a plus
- Experience leading machine learning engineering teams: you believe that coaching your team is one of your most important priorities and your key to success
- Ideal: Experience working with fraud detection, particularly in the financial services industry. Alternatively, experience in similar adversarial problems, such as anti-money laundering, or cybersecurity.
On occasion this role may require off-hours work in order to address escalations or urgent concerns.
Please note, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Vesta is a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) company that specializes in managing payments in the “card-not-present” (CNP) arena. We use next-level technologies and cutting-edge data science methodologies to bring unparalleled accuracy to fraud detection. Our zero liability solutions let merchants step fearlessly into the world of online commerce, so they can stop chargebacks—without stopping business.
We are a company reinventing ourselves for the future in an industry that is growing and changing at the same time. We are looking for talented people to join us who resonate with our Vesta Values: trust, partner, empower, passion and courage -- and who love to tackle new challenges every day.
We are also a casual, fun and flexible workplace that also offers highly competitive benefits including a generous paid-time-off and paid sabbatical program.
Vesta is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Careers@vesta.io for assistance.