Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.Job Description
The Checkout team’s mission is to ensure our wide range of small business owners never miss a sale - helping them sell anywhere, giving their customers a wide range of choices for making the purchase.
We are the heart of Square, playing an important role in every major company initiatives, from new forms of payment (e.g. tap to pay
), hardware (e.g. Square Register
), to launching in new countries (e.g. Spain
). We power every sale, from our variety of Point-of-Sale offerings
to our Payment terminals
This is a massive undertaking with huge challenges. Our customers have extensive (and sometimes contradictory) needs; to meet them, we work with many partner teams at Square in navigating dependencies and intertwined technical / product ambiguities. As we scale, we also have new obstacles to overcome on performance and reliability. The team has been growing rapidly, bringing its own scaling challenges.
We are looking for a passionate leader who will guide this team and Square on this next stage of our growth. This is a manager of managers position leading an organization of multiple sprint teams, with high visibility and impact, and significant room for increasing scope. It requires a leader who can build a long-term vision for the space, drive execution, and establish credibility and influence across Square’s ecosystem of products.You will:
- Set the strategy and collaborate with cross-functional leaders to:
- Pivot the product from a single shared end-to-end experience to a highly-customizable platform that multiple teams can tailor for their specialized needs
- Transform the team from being stretched too thin to thriving through sustainable growth
- Design your organizational structure, hire and develop your leaders and engineers to support our strategy and deliver impact
- Ensure your organization operates with high velocity, ownership, and self-accountability.
- Cultivate an inclusive team culture focused on ownership, integrity, and a customer focus
- Report into the Head of Engineering for Orders
If you share our passion for our mission, and are eager to tackle these complex challenges, please reach out to us!Qualifications
- 8+ years of experience in software development management and 5+ years managing managers
- Experience leading multiple mobile native projects successfully. Experience with delivering customizable mobile-native platforms supporting different stakeholders and leading complex cross-organizational, multi-year re-architecture are highly desired
- Led organizations through significant culture change - identifying strategic needs, diagnosing gaps and their root causes, and motivating and rolling out the change successfully
- Strong track record in managing complex multi-stakeholder dynamics through collaboration, influence, and negotiation to help the team to succeed and create strategic impact
- Built multiple highly-functioning engineering organizations, using organizational design best practices and developing effective leadership benches
- Consistently instilled a high-performing engineering culture, cultivated strong cross-team and cross-organizational collaboration, managed performance and career development effectively, while promoting diversity and inclusion
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone B: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone C: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone D: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.