We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.Job Title
Sr. Principal Engineer - Transfer Solutions
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.Overview
The Transfer Solutions team was created to establish Mastercard as the frontrunner in the fast-evolving real-time payments space, and to position Mastercard to be able to incubate the development of new payment flows. The team is responsible for designing, building, and operating the technology that powers Mastercard’s next generation payment applications – Domestic, Cross Border and Bill Payments.
Mastercard seeks to define a world beyond cash. To accelerate this mission, we are committed to building & scaling products & applications that transform payments of any type. Real time payment technology is central to this strategy.The Role
What’s it all about and what we expect you to do day to day?
All About You And What You Need To Bring
- At least 50% individual contributor with technical team leadership who is recognized as a departmental authority and technical expert within a discipline, and drives innovation and organizational growth through their contributions.
- Spend their time in IDEs writing non-feature code; are hands all the time and collaborate by writing interfaces, tests (unit or acceptance) and architecture fitness functions, outside of meeting rooms. Tools like JDepend, ArchUnit, ADRs and NetArchTest make them feel at home.
- Implement, monitor, and maintain compliance and security concerns in CI/CD pipelines to bring life to the principle of “Code is Design and Design is Code”.
- Domain driven design in their game. They code to enforce the contextual mappings and aggregates for each bounded context. They drive implementation of consumer driven contracts to allow for evolution and learning of the domain model with hyper speed while meeting our promises to other teams internally and customers alike.
- Polyglot engineering gurus. They bring cutting edge engineering practices to life in multiple evolving frameworks – Feature flags, fitness functions and whatever is required to reduce the cost and increase the lifecycle value of next feature delivered by engineering teams.
- Love for declarative paradigm and functional programming. No one can stop them in paying off technical debt and refactoring the code for better SDLC, performance and availability.
- Work on complex enterprise-wide initiatives spanning multiple services/programs and drives resolution
- Work with business/product owners to architect and deliver on new services to introduce new products and bundles
- Participate and contribute to team’s agile process and decisions. Understand and contribute to Prioritization. Drive prioritization decisions and trade-offs in working with product partners
- Drive the architectural design, including dependent services, service interactions, and policies
- Take ownership to improve the customer experience of an entire set of services/applications sold as products or bundled services
- Simplify and improve the cost/benefit of a function/service/architecture strategy
- Apply judgment and experience to balance trade-offs between competing interests
- Venture beyond comfort zone to take on assignments across different areas of Software Engineering
- Take on organization-wide and public speaking engagements and publishes white papers and blogs on relevant and emerging technical topics
- Participate and contribute to Principal review architecture meetings and drive resolutions to enterprise-wide challenges and regulatory needs
- Write recommendations for job promotions based on an unbiased view of one's accomplishments
- Conduct technical interviews for hiring engineering staff and raising the performance bar
- Product engineering experience that demonstrates thought-leadership and cross-functional influence demonstrated by a successful track record of enabling business through engineering excellence and technical innovation.
- Expert understanding and experience of DevOps best practices to guide developers and abstract application development from underlying hosting platforms and infrastructure. Infrastructure as code and cloud first software development knowledge experience preferred.
- Experience in the skills required to implement advanced test set ups in production environment (e.g., A/B testing, canary releases, blue-green deployment, feature flags)
- Experience in Continuous Integration (CI) and Delivery (CD) concepts, and capabilities to support automation, pipelines, virtualization, and containerization
- Experience in leading the initiation and formation of large global projects including architecting, estimating, planning, implementing, and operating as well as selecting talent resources across multiple geographies and functions.
- Has skills to develop and evangelize on reference architecture and run principles to help teams adopt Engineering Principles from the start (poison pill, active/active/active, auto-scaling, self-healing, others)
- Understands use cases for advanced design patterns (e.g., service-to-worker, MVC, API gateway, intercepting filter, dependency injection, lazy loading, all from gang of four) to implement efficient code
- Understands and implements Application Programming Interface (API) standards and cataloging to drive API/service adoption and commercialization
- Has skills to promote and coach teams on take on full stack development and facilitate end-to-end service ownership
- Has skills to engage engineers across Technology organization to promote standard software patterns and reuse of common libraries and services
- Has experience in leading and coaching teams to perform software planning and estimation for large scale complex programs
- Has skills to drive trade-off discussions to set right development capacity based on value drivers (e.g., regulatory, security, new business, market parity, technical debt)
- Performance engineering experience to ensure applications are built to scale, run, and perform for varying demands
- Has skills to evaluate practices, metrics, and roles to continually optimize SDLC methodologies and automate processes to improve lead time and quality
- Has skills to succinctly articulate architecture patterns of complex systems, with business and technical implications, to executive and customer stakeholders
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.