About Engine by Starling
Starling Bank's strategic international growth venture, Engine by Starling, is looking to expand its team. We want to build a team who are excited by the opportunity to develop and grow a technology start up out of the successful UK bank. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who want to be part of the rapid growth story, join our small team and help shape our future.
Engine is Starling's software-as-a-service (SaaS) business. Starling Bank has seen exceptional growth and success, and a large part of that is down to the fact that we have built our own modern technology from the ground up. This SaaS technology platform is now available to banks and financial institutions all around the world, enabling them to benefit from the innovative digital features, and efficient back office processes that has helped achieve Starling's success.
We have a Hybrid approach to working here at Starling - our preference is that you're located within a commutable distance of one of our offices so that we're able to interact and collaborate in person. We don't like to mandate how much you visit the office and work from home, that's to be agreed upon between you and your manager.
About the Role
We are seeking a technical writer to capture, organise, and maintain knowledge about our rapidly changing software systems. You will be writing for and communicating with both Starling engineers and external developers. You will also work closely with Starling's new SaaS team Engine.
In this role you will:
- Talk to engineers and business SMEs to learn about our software systems: what they do, how they are used, and how they work.
- Create documentation for those systems which can be read by engineers, and help disseminate it.
- Create documentation designed for a variety of scenarios:
- High level overviews of individual systems to help engineers get up to speed.
- Quick reads designed to help engineers assess emergency situations.
- Model definitions and recipes designed to help external engineers work with our public APIs.
About your skills
- Experience as a Technical Writer / Author working on complex API documentation
- Ability to gather information from software developers and business SMEs.
- Ability to write clear and concise documentation for software products for a technical audience.
- Ability to grasp technical concepts and talk confidently with engineers.
- Ability to communicate a big picture view of a complex software landscape
Interviewing is a two way process and we want you to have the time and opportunity to get to know us, as much as we are getting to know you! Our interviews are conversational and we want to get the best from you, so come with questions and be curious. In general you can expect the below, following a chat with one of our Talent Team:
- First Interview - 30 minutes
- Second Interview - 60 minutes
- Final Interview - 45 minute
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day's holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off!
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work and Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships
You may be put off applying for a role because you don't tick every box. Forget that! While we can't accommodate every flexible working request, we're always open to discussion. So, if you're excited about working with us, but aren't sure if you're 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.
We're on a mission to radically reshape banking - and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we're proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.