📍Remote in the UK 🇬🇧 | 💰 £34,650.00 - £43,000.00 depending on experience plus stock options + Benefits | Fighting Financial Crime the Monzo WayAbout Us
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque. We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves. We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.About Our Financial Crime Customer Operations Team
Our Financial Crime Customer Operations team is at the heart of how we protect Monzo and our customers from economic crimes such as fraud and money laundering.
In our Screening team we support various aspects of the customer journey such as onboarding (we call them sign-ups), ongoing monitoring, and event based review. Our Investigators conduct reviews on tasks where our customers may appear on fraud prevention or sanctions databases or where they may be classified as a politically exposed person (PEP). We conduct due diligence on our customers based on our customer risk assessment and support our financial crime risk teams by recommending or making fair and proportionate risk based decisions on their behalf.What You’ll Be Working On
We are looking for Financial Crime Screening Subject Matter Experts (we call them ‘Technical Managers’ at Monzo) to join our Screening operation and support us with the roll-out of extensive enhancements to the bank’s enhanced due diligence, customer risk assessment control, and sanctions screening controls.
As a Financial Crime Technical Manager you will play a key role in our Financial Crime Screening operations leadership team. You’ll work closely with stakeholders across the bank, implementing change, supporting the enhancements of controls and policies, building operational processes, and conducting quality control and risk assessment activities. You’ll be responsible for ensuring our Financial Crime Investigators achieve effective and high quality outcomes in their tasks, while also personally completing our riskiest and most complex tasks.
You’ll act as the final point of technical escalation for Screening and Customer Due Diligence related issues within Financial Crime Operations, ensuring actionable feedback is provided to Team and Operations Managers. You’ll also act as a delegate for high risk decisions on behalf of our financial crime risk teams.
You will confidently articulate complex and technical financial crime matters to the Operations Manager and Team Managers and maintain an overview of financial crime risks facing the Screening operation. You will also support the Operations Manager with hiring exceptional talent, leading technical interviews and providing detailed feedback - don’t worry though, training will be provided to make sure you are equipped for hiring activities.In Your Day-to-day
You Should Apply If
- You’ll provide clear, concise and actionable guidance to your Operations and Senior Manager around financial crime issues
- You’ll investigate or oversee extremely high risk, urgent or complex due diligence, risk assessment and screening tasks
- You’ll perform nominated approvals on behalf of senior management and financial crime risk
- You’ll work closely with subject matter experts in financial crime risk (we call them ‘Control Owners’) to deliver enhancements to our control environment
- You’ll work with stakeholders across the business to support product launches and embed new controls, writing guidance and sometimes building operational processes
- You’ll answer urgent or risky escalations, making final decisions on behalf of Operations leadership
- You’ll support the business with complex complaints investigations (e.g. Financial Ombudsman Service) where there is a financial crime element
- You may be involved in engagement with external parties, supporting senior leadership with new regulatory or legislative changes
- You’ll proactively identify gaps in the operation’s effectiveness, developing and delivering training and coaching where required.
- You’ll support the Operations Manager with hiring exceptional talent into the team
You’ll Really Stand Out If
- You have significant experience fighting financial crime
- You are a strong team player but can work effectively as an individual contributor with limited supervision.
- You are developing subject matter expertise in screening and enhanced due diligence
- You have the ability to handle complex escalations from investigators, team managers and a range of stakeholders.
- You can provide actionable specific feedback to a wide range of audiences and levels.
- You have experience of identifying emerging risk trends.
- You are confident and proficient in coaching and mentoring colleagues and open to delivering ad-hoc training.
- You have a strong understanding of UK legislation and regulations around economic crime, as well as industry best practice guidance.
- You are able to clearly articulate financial crime risks facing fintechs and the banking sector.
- You understand the regulatory requirements around enhanced due diligence for complex and high risk customers.
- You have a working knowledge of the UK and US sanctions regulatory regimes
- You have great time management skills, experience of managing conflicting priorities and prioritising time sensitive workloads.
- You hold or are willing to work towards an appropriate financial crime qualification from a relevant provider e.g. ICA, ACAMS
- You are able to become fluent with MacOS, Slack, and GSuite tools.
The Interview Process
- You have extensive experience conducting customer risk assessments and politically exposed person (PEP) and high-risk customer enhanced due diligence (EDD) at a UK regulated bank or financial services firm
- You have experience with sanctions investigation, international payments or correspondent banking
- You have extensive experience with identity & verification (IDV) and onboarding controls
- You have experience working closely with data, engineering and product teams
- You have project management experience or have led significant changes in a risk or financial crime setting
- You hold an advanced financial crime qualification e.g. CAMS, CFE or ICA Diploma
Our interview process involves 2 main stages:
- Answering the application questions
- A role specific technical interview with an Operations Manager, Senior Manager, Technical Manager or Product Partner to test your financial crime competency (45 minutes)
- A leadership & values interview with an Operations Manager or Senior Manager (45 minutes)
Our average process takes around 2-3 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .What’s In It For You
💰 £34,650 - £43,000
📍This role is fully remote
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.The closing date for this role is 2nd June 2023.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog , 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.
Please apply for this job with your Monzo email address so that Greenhouse automatically tags you as an internal applicant. We keep our updates to email instead of Slack (so we can easily send from Greenhouse and keep proper records), so make sure you check your Monzo mail 😊