We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.Job Title
Lead Software EngineerOverview
As a Lead Software Development Engineer in the Mastercard Data & Services Technologies team, you will play a valuable role within a successful and rapidly growing business unit, working closely with experienced and motivated engineers to solve challenging problems.
As a member of the Mastercard D&S Business Intelligence team, you will bring your technical knowledge and back-end development experience to help build, deploy, and scale real-time interactive applications for thousands of clients across the globe that allow users to compare the performance of their portfolio against benchmarks. You will scale our platform to be able to support more customers and broader use cases by helping re-architect our calc tier to use a more modern and big-data focused scale-out technology (Hadoop, Impala, Spark). Our next-generation platform blends industry-leading analytics, advanced software architecture, and the latest data processing technologies.
Engineers work in small, flexible teams. Every team member contributes to feature design, building, and testing. The range of work you encounter varies from front-end web development to writing server-side calculation code to database work. There are no rigid organizational structures at Mastercard; each team uses processes that work the best for that team's members and projects.Position Responsibilities
All About You
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of data-focused applications on the backend using .NET and database technologies like SQL
- Implement scalable and efficient data architectures using technologies like Hadoop, Impala, Spark on-premises, or Databricks and Snowflake cloud offerings
- Evaluate and recommend new technologies and approaches to improve the performance, scalability, and reliability of our software systems
- Help build out a data pipeline and compute tier that operates on Hadoop and Impala/Spark
- Help optimize workloads running in the Hadoop with a focus on business intelligence/interactive workloads
- Collaborate with partners teams across broader Mastercard (Software Delivery, Corporate Security, Privacy and Data Protection, Global Product Management) to deliver high-quality solutions that meet business requirements
- Mentor junior team members and provide technical guidance and support
- Ensure that code is well-designed, maintainable, and adheres to best practices and standards
- Additional tasks as required
- 7+ years of hands-on experience as Software Engineer / Developer
- Experience in backend software development with a focus on data-driven applications
- Experience with scale-out technologies like Hadoop, Impala, Spark on-premise, or Databricks and Snowflake cloud offerings
- Strong understanding of database technologies, proficiency with SQL
- Experience working with .NET and C# technologies
- Background in big data with hands-on experience with Impala or Spark development
- Strong knowledge of the architecture and internals of technologies in the Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience with data modeling and data architecture design
- Proficiency with advanced object-oriented programming
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to mentor and lead junior team members
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or a related field
What is Data & Services?
The Data & Services Team (D&S) is a key differentiator for Mastercard, providing the cutting-edge services that help our customers grow. Focused on thinking big and scaling fast around the globe, this team is responsible for end-to-end solutions for a diverse global customer base. We combine traditional management consulting with our rich data assets and in-house technology to provide our clients with powerful insights and tools to drive fact-based decision making. Centered on data-driven technologies and innovation, our services include consulting, loyalty and marketing programs, test-and-learn business experimentation, and data-driven information and risk management. While specializing in the payments industry, Mastercard Data & Services also works closely with major retailers, airlines, and other enterprises, leveraging data and insights garnered from within and beyond its network.
D&S is continuously looking for passionate and talented technologists, who share our vision for empowering our customers to make better fact-based decisions, to join us and shape the growth of our team.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
NYC Salary Range: $181,700 - $281,750