At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
Job Description Summary:
Job Description Summary PayPal is looking for a key leader in the Global Data Science Organization, to lead a global team responsible for strategic machine learning/AI applied research. The team researches and develops innovative Machine-Learning/AI solutions for multiple domains across PayPal - Risk, Fraud, Credit Sales, Marketing, Customer-support, Product experience, etc. We use data, technology and innovative machine learning algorithms to drive business results and improve customer experience. The leader of the strategic research team will manange an elite team of distinguished data-scientists and deliver end to end complex applied research initiatives while leveraging academia and industry state of the art advanced ML technologies and algorithms.
PayPal is looking for a key leader in the Global Data Science Organization, to lead a global team responsible for strategic machine learning/AI applied research and model automation. The team researches and develops innovative Machine-Learning/AI solutions for multiple domains across PayPal - Risk, Fraud, Credit Sales, Marketing, Customer-support, Product experience, etc.
We use data, technology and innovative machine learning algorithms to drive business results and improve customer experience. The leader of the strategic research team will manage an elite team of distinguished data-scientists and deliver end to end complex applied research initiatives while leveraging academia and industry state of the art advanced ML technologies and algorithms
What does Success Look Like?
In your role, you will:
- Lead a global team of distinguished data scientists to own and deliver applied research initiatives, bring those capabilities from initial academia/industry research to operational grade. Form clear vision and lead the team towards the vision. operational adoption of emerging AI/ML technology trends resulting in long term business value creation
- Drive the ML/AI advanced research and together with strong partnership with our engineering group and PayPal's Platforms organization.
- Act as chief data science officer for the expanded team, providing strong technical support and guidance for the expanded team domain including : Complex graph computation and networks theory, NLP, unsupervised learning and more.
- Develop deep understanding of key ML/AI long term needs of different business domains and build strong strategic partnership with members of the data science orgnization; provide leadership to enable achieving those needs through innovation.
- Communicate complex technological/data-science concepts in a clear and effective manner to senior leadership. Be able to influence partners and customers with technology leadership.
- Be a true thought leader for our organization (and PayPal overall) and contribute significantly to develop the next generation of applicable AI technologies for the company.
- Engage with academia, industry and take an active role in building PayPal AI/ML brand presence globally.
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in science or engineering field with 10+ years of relevant experience. 5+ years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in building/leading a strong team of data-scientists across multiple geographies
- Proven experience in leading open-ended data-science/ML/AI research from initial ideation stage up to delivering the capabilities in 'production grade'
- Have a true passion for working on applied research, big data/ML/AI and professional experience in data mining, statistical analysis, predictive modeling, managing product functions
- Strong problem solving skills, business acumen, and communication skills
- Proven experience in working with multiple partner groups to drive longer term strategies within a matrix-based organization
- Strong Programming experience & Familiarity with various Machine Learning algorithms and Statistical methods
- SQL and Hadoop / Other Big Data skills
- Experience in Fintech industry a strong plus
PayPal is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
Actual Compensation is based on various factors including but not limited to work location, and relevant skills and experience.
The total compensation for this practice may include an annual performance bonus (or other incentive compensation, as applicable), equity, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information, visit https://www.paypalbenefits.com.
The U.S. national annual pay range for this role is $120300 to $287100
At PayPal, we’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can’t do this without our most important asset—you. That’s why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
We have great benefits including a flexible work environment, employee shares options, health and life insurance and more. To learn more about our benefits please visit https://www.paypalbenefits.com
Who We Are:
To learn more about our culture and community visit https://about.pypl.com/who-we-are/default.aspx
PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution for more than 20 years. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, the PayPal platform is empowering more than 400 million consumers and merchants in more than 200 markets to join and thrive in the global economy. For more information, visit paypal.com.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of PayPal’s commitment to employees’ health and safety, we have established in-office Covid-19 protocols and requirements, based on expert guidance. Depending on location, this might include a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for any employee whose role requires them to work onsite. Employees may request reasonable accommodation based on a medical condition or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
REQ ID R0102755